- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Functions of the Network Layer
The main function of the network layer or layer 3 of the OSI (Open Systems Interconnection) model is delivery of data packets from the source to the destination across multiple hops or links. It also controls the operation of the subnet.
The functions are elaborated as below −
When data is to be sent, the network layer accepts data from the transport layer above, divides and encapsulates it into packets and sends it to the data link layer. The reverse procedure is done during receiving data.
The network layer is responsible for routing packets from the source host to the destination host. The routes can be based upon static tables that are rarely changed; or they can be automatically updated depending upon network conditions.
Many networks are partitioned into sub-networks or subnets. The network layer controls the operations of the subnets. Network devices called routers operate in this layer to forward packets between the subnets or the different networks.
The lower layers assign the physical address locally. When the data packets are routed to remote locations, a logical addressing scheme is required to differentiate the source system and the destination system. This is provided by the network layer.
This layer also provides mechanisms for congestion control, in situations when too many packets overload the subnets.
The network layer tackles issues like transmission delays, transmission time, avoidance of jitters etc.
- What are the functions of Network Layer?
- The Computer Network Layer
- The Network Layer of OSI Model
- Explain the functions of Session Layer.
- Explain the functions of Presentation Layer.
- Network Physical Layer
- Explain the functions of a Physical Layer
- Network Data Link Layer
- Network Layer Design Issues
- What are the functions of Network Management?
- Explain the services provided by Network Layer in Computer Network.
- What is delay, the performance metric of the network layer?
- What are the Data Link Layer services provided to the Network Layer?
- What are the Network Layer Design issues?
- What is a network layer?