- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Network Data Link Layer
The network data link layer is the layer above the physical layer in the Open System Interconnections (OSI) model. The primary concern of this layer is to convert the raw transmission facility provided by the physical layer to a reliable and error-free link.In TCP/IP model, the physical layer and the data link layer are combined as the host - to - network layer.
Data Link Layer in the OSI Model
The Open System Interconnections (OSI) model is a layered networking framework that conceptualizes how communications should be done between heterogeneous systems.Its three lower OSI layers are called the network support layers. The data link layer is the second lowest layer.
The following diagram depicts the position of the data link layer where a transmission is done from a sending machine to a receiving machine.
Functions of Data Link Layer
Dividing the stream of bits from physical layer into data frames whose size ranges from a few hundred to a few thousand bytes
Distributing the frames to the different systems, by adding a header to the frame containing the address of the sender and the receiver
Regulating flow control so that a fast sender does not drown a slow receiver
Dealing with transmission errors
Sending acknowledgement frames in reliable connections
Retransmitting lost frames
Identifying duplicate frames and deleting them
Controlling access to shared channels in case of broadcasting
Providing well defined service interface to network layer above it
- What are the Data Link Layer services provided to the Network Layer?
- Data Link Layer Design Issues
- Framing in Data Link Layer
- General Data Link Layer Frame Structure
- Error control in Data Link Layer
- Flow control in Data Link Layer
- What is Data Link Layer Switching?
- What is the data link layer?
- What is a Data Link Layer?
- Design Issues in Data Link Layer
- The Data Link Layer of OSI Model
- What are data link layer design issues?
- What are elementary data link layer protocols?
- The Data Link Layer Frame and Frame Fields
- Feedback-based flow control in data link layer