- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Distributed operating System
An operating system (OS) is basically a collection of software that manages computer hardware resources and provides common services for computer programs. Operating system is a crucial component of the system software in a computer system.
Distributed Operating System is one of the important type of operating system.
Multiple central processors are used by Distributed systems to serve multiple real-time applications and multiple users. Accordingly, Data processing jobs are distributed among the processors.
Processors communicate with each other through various communication lines (like high-speed buses or telephone lines). These are known as loosely coupled systems or distributed systems. Processors in this system may vary in size and function. They are referred as sites, nodes, computers, and so on.
With resource sharing facility, a user at one site may be able to use the resources available at another.
Speedup the exchange of data with one another via electronic mail.
Failure of one site in a distributed system doesn’t affect the others, the remaining sites can potentially continue operating.
Better service to the customers.
Reduction of the load on the host computer.
Reduction of delays in data processing.
- Difference Between Network Operating System and Distributed Operating System
- What is a distributed Operating System?
- Distributed Database Management System
- Layered Operating System
- Hybrid Operating System
- Operating System Generations
- Operating System Debugging
- Operating System Structure
- Operating System Operations
- Operating System Definition
- Batch operating system
- Operating System Design Goals
- Semaphores in Operating System
- Time-Sharing Operating system
- Network operating System (RTOS)