- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Difference between Linux and Unix
Linux is an open source multi-tasking, multi-user operating system. It was initially developed by Linus Torvalds in 1991. Linux OS is widely used in desktops, mobiles, mainframes etc.
Unix is multi-tasking, multi-user operating system but is not free to use and is not open source. It was developed in 1969 by Ken Thompson team at AT&T Bell Labs. It is widely used on servers, workstations etc. Following are the important differences between Linux and Unix.
Following are the important difference between Linux and Unix.
|1||Development||Linux is open source and is developed by Linux community of developers.||Unix was developed by AT&T Bell labs and is not open source.|
|2||Cost||Linux is free to use.||Unix is licensed OS.|
|3||Supportd File systems||Ext2, Ext3, Ext4, Jfs, ReiserFS, Xfs, Btrfs, FAT, FAT32, NTFS.||fs, gpfs, hfs, hfs+, ufs, xfs, zfs.|
|4||GUI||Linux uses KDE and Gnome. Other GUI supported are LXDE, Xfce, Unity, Mate.||Unix was initially a command based OS. Most of the unix distributions now have Gnome.|
|5||Usage||Linux is used in wide varieties from desktop, servers, smartphones to mainframes.||Unix is mostly used on servers, workstations or PCs.|
|6||Default Shell||Bash (Bourne Again SHell) is default shell for Linux.||Bourne Shell is default shell for Unix.|
|7||Target processor||Linux was initially developed for Intel's x86 hardware processors. Now it supports 20+ processor families.||CUnix supports PA-RISC and Itanium family.|
|8||Example||Ubuntu, Debian GNU, Arch Linux, etc.||SunOS, Solaris, SCO UNIX, AIX, HP/UX, ULTRIX etc.|
- Difference between Linux and Windows
- What are the differences between Unix and Linux Operating System?
- Init process on UNIX and Linux systems
- Perl Installation on Unix and Linux Platform
- Difference Between Linux and Windows Operating System
- What is the difference between UNIX TIMESTAMPS and MySQL TIMESTAMPS?
- Downgrading Binary and Package-based Installations on Unix/Linux
- Accessing The Unix/Linux password database (pwd)
- Linux and Unix Test Disk I/O Performance with DD Command
- Installing MySQL on Unix/Linux Using Generic Binaries
- What's the difference between nohup and ampersand (&) on Linux?
- What are Named Pipes or FIFO in Linux/Unix systems?
- Upgrading MySQL Binary or Package-based Installations on Unix/Linux
- How to change file or directory permission in Linux/Unix?
- Differentiate between block-oriented and character-oriented devices in UNIX