- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Difference Between Generalization and Specialization in DBMS
In this post, we will understand the difference between generalization and specialization in DBMS.
It works using bottom-up approach.
The size of schema is reduced.
It is generally applied to a group of entities.
Inheritance is not used in generalization.
It can be defined as a process where grouping are created from multiple entity sets.
It takes the union of two or more lower-level entity sets, and produces a higher-level entity set.
Some of the common features are obtained in the resultant higher-level entity set.
The differences and similarities between the entities that need to be in union operation are ignored.
Pigeon, house sparrow, crow and dove can all be generalized as Birds −
It uses a top-down approach.
The size of schema is increased.
It can be applied to a single entity.
It can be defined as process of creation of subgroups within an entity set.
It is the reverse of generalization.
It takes a subset of higher level entity, and forms a lower-level entity set.
A higher entity is split to form one or more low entity.
Inheritance can be used in this approach.
A person has name, date of birth, gender, etc. These properties are common in all persons, human beings. But in a company, persons can be identified as employee, employer, customer, or vendor, based on what role they play in the company.
- Related Articles
- Explain the design constraints on the generalization and specialization (DBMS)?
- Generalization, Specialization and Aggregation in ER Model
- Difference between DBMS and RDBMS
- Difference between DDL and DML in DBMS.
- Difference Between Primary key and Foreign key in DBMS
- Difference between an SAP ERP system and DBMS
- Difference between SAP ERP and a DBMS system
- State the difference between file systems and DBMS?
- Difference Between E-R Model and Relational Model in DBMS
- What is the difference between data and information in DBMS?
- What is the example of data generalization and analytical generalization?
- Template Specialization in C++
- Differentiate between OS and DBMS files and OS and DBMS buffer manager
- Template Specialization in C++ Program?
- Distinguish between flat files and databases (dbms)?