- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Difference between Demand Paging and Segmentation
Memory management is one of essential functionalities, which allows the allocation of memory to the processes for execution and deallocates the memory when the process is no longer needed. For this there are basically two approaches — Demand Paging and Segmentation. Differences between both are defined below.
Following are the important differences between Demand Paging and Segmentation −
|Sr. No.||Key||Demand Paging||Segmentation|
|1||Definition||Paging is a memory management technique in which process address space is broken into blocks of the same size called pages.||On other hand segmentation is a memory management technique in which each job is divided into several segments of different sizes, one for each module that contains pieces that perform related functions.|
|2||Block Size||As mentioned above in Pagination process address space is broken into fixed sized blocks which are called as pages. So block size is fixed in case of Pagination.||On other hand in Segmentation process address space is broken in varying sized blocks which are called as sections. So block size is not fixed in case of Segmentation.|
|3||Block size dependency||In Pagination the size of blocks is dependent on system memory and gets assigned accordingly.||In Segmentation the size is not dependent on system memory and is all up to user's choice that of what size blocks are needed.|
|4||Performance||In context of performance Pagination is faster as compared to Segmentation.||Segmentation is slower in speed as compared to Pagination.|
|5||Data Load||In case of Pagination pages get loaded in main memory at runtime when user demands it.||In case of Segmentation all the sections get loaded at the time of compilation.|
|6||Data Record||In case of Pagination Page map table in demand paging manages record of pages in memory.||In case of Segmentation, Segment map table in segmentation demonstrates every segment address in the memory.|
- Difference between Paging and Segmentation
- Difference Between Paging and Segmentation in OS
- Difference Between Paging and Swapping in OS
- What is paging?
- Demand Factor, Load Factor, and Diversity Factor
- What is Segmentation?
- Connected Load, Average Load, and Maximum Demand Load
- Overlay an image segmentation with Numpy and Matplotlib
- What is Market Segmentation?
- Explain Demand based pricing method
- What is shadow paging in DBMS?
- Difference between C# and .Net
- Difference between Process and Thread
- Difference between Concurrency and Parallelism
- Difference between localhost and 127.0.0.1?