- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Difference between Basic Disk and Dynamic Disk
Both basic disk and dynamic disk are disk configurations available in Windows Operating System. A basic disk is from initial days of DOS, Windows to till date. Dynamic Disk is available from Window 2000 onwards.
Basic Disk Configuration works on the concept of partition, partition table, and logical drives. A disk can have up to four partitions or three partitions and one extended partition with multiple logical drives. The following operations can be performed in basic disk configuration.
Create/Delete primary/extended partition.
Create/Delete logical drives within an extended partition.
Format a partition and mark as active.
Dynamic Disk Configuration works on the concept of volumes. It is more flexible than the basic disk configuration. A partition can be extended using dynamic disk configuration. The following operations can be performed in dynamic disk configuration.
Create/Delete simple/spanned/striped/mirrored and RAID-5 volumes.
Extend a simple/spanned volume.
Reactivate a missing/offline disk.
The following are some of the important differences between Basic Disk and Dynamic Disk.
|Sr. No.||Key||Basic Disk||Dynamic Disk|
|1||Concept||In Basic Disk, a hard drive is divided into fixed partitions.||In Dynamic Disk, a hard drive is divided into dynamic volumes.|
|2||Limits||A hard drive can have at max 3 or 4 partitions with one secondary extended partition.||Dynamic Disk has no such limitation.|
|3||Types||Partitions are of two types: MBR partition and GPT partition.||Volumes are of the following types: simple volumes, spanned volumes, striped volumes, mirrored volumes, and RAID-5 volumes.|
|4||Conversion||Basic Disk can be converted into Dynamic Disk Configuration without losing any data.||To Dynamic Disk to Basic Disk conversion, we have to delete all volumes of a dynamic disk.|
|5||Updates||In Basic Disk, partitions once created cannot be changed.||In Dynamic Disk, volumes can be extended.|
|6||Multiboot||Basic Disk supports multi-boot configurations.||Dynamic Disk does not support multi-boot configurations.|
|7||Compatability||Basic Disk is supported on old windows operating systems as well.||Dynamic Disk is supported from Windows 2000 onwards only.|
- Difference between Magnetic Disk and Optical Disk
- Difference between Magnetic Tape and Magnetic Disk
- Checking data disk, log disk and Trace disk in SAP HANA
- What are the differences between Yandex Disk and ShareFile?
- What are the differences between Yandex Disk and RapidShare?
- What are the differences between SecureSafe and Yandex Disk?
- What are the differences between Wasabi and Yandex Disk?
- What are the differences between Tresorit and Yandex Disk?
- What are the differences between TitanFile and Yandex Disk?
- What are the differences between Box and Yandex Disk?
- What are the differences between Dropbox and Yandex Disk?
- What are the differences between CloudMe and Yandex Disk?
- What are the differences between Jumpshare and Yandex Disk?
- What are the differences between iCloud and Yandex Disk?
- What are the differences between Yandex Disk and MiMedia?