- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Difference between Magnetic Tape and Magnetic Disk
Both Magnetic Tape and Magnetic Disk are the type of non-volatile magnetic memory and used to store the data. On the basis of architecture and features we can distinguish between both Magnetic Tape Memory and Magnetic Disk Memory. Following are the important differences between Magnetic Tape Memory and Magnetic Disk Memory.
|Sr. No.||Key||Magnetic Tape Memory||Magnetic Disk Memory|
|1||Definition||Magnetic tape is type of non-volatile memory uses thin plastic ribbon is used for storing data and as data use to be stored on ribbon so data read/write speed is slower due to which is mainly used for data backups.||On other hand Magnetic Disk is also type of non-volatile memory uses circular disk used for storing data.|
|2||Constituent||As mentioned above Magnetic tape memory is having plastic ribbon as main constituent.||On other hand Magnetic disk memory has metallic or plastic circular disk coated with magnetic oxide, as main constituent.|
|3||Cost Concern||Cost concern in case of Magnetic tape memory is less as plastic ribbon is much cheaper as compared to the circular disk as in case of magnetic disk memory.||While on other hand in case of Magnetic disk memory the cost concern is more as compared to that of Magnetic tape memory.|
|4||Reliability||As plastic ribbon is not much reliable and chances of its breakdown is more hence Magnetic tape memory is less reliable as compared to Magnetic Disk memory.||On other hand due to more breakdown prone circular disk Magnetic disk memory becomes more reliable than Magnetic tape memory.|
|5||Performance||Data store and retrieval is much slower in case of Magnetic tape memory due to which it is less efficient and has comparatively degrade performance as compared to Magnetic disk memory.||On other hand data storage and retrieval is faster in case of Magnetic disk memory and hence has better performance and more efficient as compared to Magnetic tape memory.|
|6||Usage||Due to low data transmission rate and less portability Magnetic tape memory mainly used for Data backup purposes.||On other hand Magnetic disk memory can be used as secondary storage.|
- Difference between Magnetic Disk and Optical Disk
- What is Magnetic Tape?
- Magnetic Circuit – Series and Parallel Magnetic Circuit
- Absolute and Relative Magnetic Permeability (µ)
- What are Magnetic Disks?
- Difference between Basic Disk and Dynamic Disk
- Explain the concept of magnetic disk with the help of a diagram(DBMS)
- Magnetism, Electromagnetism & Magnetic Materials
- Magnetic Circuit with Air Gap: Explanation and Examples
- Magnetic Field Intensity of an Electromagnet
- How to Determine Magnetic Flux Density?
- Magnetic Reluctance: Definition, Formula & Examples
- Energy Stored in a Magnetic System
- What is Leakage Flux and Fringing in Magnetic Circuits?
- Magnetic Field around a Current Carrying Conductor