- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Cellular architecture is constituted of the following −
A network of cells each with a base station.
A packet switched network for communication between the base stations and mobile switching centers.
The public switched telephone network to connect subscribers to the wider telephony network
In all cellular systems, land area is divided into a number of cells each with its radio service. In AMPS the area is large which in digital services, the area is much smaller.Conventionally cells are hexagonal in shape.Each cell uses a frequency range that is not used by its adjacent cells. However frequencies may be reused in non-adjacent cells.
At the centre of each cell is a base station through which mobile phones and other mobile devices transmit data and voice.
The following diagram represents the configuration.
Mobile Switching Centres
A mobile switching centre (MSC) is a network switching subsystem of a cellular phone system. It is also called mobile telephone switching office (MTSO). All base stations are connected to an MSC.
The functions of MSC are −
Call set-up and release.
Routing of calls and messages sent via SMS.
Managing conference calls and calls on hold.
Interfacing with other networks like public switched telephone network (PSTN) and Internet.
- What is cellular network communication?
- Difference between Cellular and Wi-Fi Networks
- What is evolutionary process of cellular networks?
- Differentiate between 4G and 5G cellular Networks
- What are the new developments of cellular networks?
- What are security features of the 4G cellular network?
- What are security features and risks in cellular 4G networks?
- What are the cellular network bandwidth capabilities and base station?
- GSM Architecture
- Bluetooth Architecture
- Symmetric Multiprocessing Architecture
- Computer System Architecture
- Monolithic System Architecture
- Google Android Architecture
- Apple iOS Architecture