- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Akhtar, Kiran, and Rahul were riding in a motorcar that was moving with a high velocity on an expressway when an insect hit the windshield and got stuck on the windscreen. Akhtar and Kiran started pondering over the situation. Kiran suggested that the insect suffered a greater change in momentum as compared to the change in momentum of the motorcar (because the change in the velocity of the insect was much more than that of the motorcar). Akhtar said that since the motorcar was moving with a larger velocity, it exerted a larger force on the insect. And as a result, the insect died. Rahul while putting an entirely new explanation said that both the motorcar and the insect experienced the same force and a change in their momentum. Comment on these suggestions.
Here, let\'s see the statements of three persons:
Akhtar: The motorcar was moving with a larger velocity, it exerted a larger force on the insect. And as a result, the insect died.
If the car was moving slowly, the insect may have experienced less force and may have not died. Since the motorcar moving with a larger velocity exerted a larger force.
So, Aktar\'s suggestion is correct.
Kiran: The insect suffered a greater change in momentum as compared to the change in momentum of the motorcar $(because\ the\ change\ in\ the\ velocity\ of\ the\ insect\ was\ much\ more\ than\ that\ of\ the\ motorcar)$. So, the insect died.
We know the law of conservation of momentum,
Total momentum before collision$=$Total momentum after the collision
As the car is heavy and moving at a greater speed, and when it hits the insect, the insect experiences a larger change in momentum.
So, Kiran\'s suggestion is correct.
Rahul: Both the motorcar and the insect experienced the same force and a change in their momentum.
Rahul\'s suggestion is partially correct. It is as:
- Both the motorcar and the insect experienced the same force. it is according to the third law of motion that states that for every action, there is a reaction.
- But the change in the momentum of both the motorcar and the insect is not the same at all.
So, Rahul\'s suggestion is only partially correct.
- When was the Motorcycle invented and by whom?
- What should you do if you hit someone while driving/riding?
- What was the time when you felt a person was actually a shrewd one?
- Is it true that Subrata Roy got VIP treatment while he was in Jail?
- Bricks Falling When Hit in C++
- Create a tooltip that appears when the user moves the mouse over an element with CSS
- What was your reaction when you were called Uncle/Aunty for the first time in your life?
- What are the options and variables that were removed in MySQL 8.0?
- When to use an abstract class and when to use an interface in Java?
- How to create a high resolution timer with C++ and Linux?
- Drawing circles on an image with Matplotlib and NumPy
- What to do – When got married to a WRONG Guy?
- Plot a circle with an edgecolor and hatch in Matplotlib
- Execute a script when a mouse button is pressed down on an element in HTML?
- Find an element in an array such that elements form a strictly decreasing and increasing sequence in Python