- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- MS Excel
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
(a) Write the formula and draw the electron dot structure of carbon tetrachloride.
(b) What is saponification? Write the reaction involved in this process.
(a) Carbon tetrachloride- CCl4
(b) The process of preparing soap by the hydrolysis of fats or oils with alkalis is known as saponification.
When animal fat or vegetable oil (ester) is heated with concentrated sodium hydroxide solution, soap and glycerol (alcohol) are formed.
The equation can be written as:
Fat or oil (Ester) + Sodium Hydroxide (alkali) → Soap (sodium salt of fatty acid) + Glycerol (an alcohol)
- Related Articles
- Write the molecular formula of ethene and draw its electron dot structure.
- Draw the electron dot structure of ethyne and also draw its structural formula.
- What would be the electron-dot structure of carbon dioxide which has the formula CO2?
- What will be the formula and electron dot structure of cyclopentane?
- In electron dot structure, the valence shell electrons are represented by crosses or dots.(a) The atomic number of chlorine is 17. Write its electronic configuration.(b) Draw the electron dot structure of chlorine molecule.
- Write The Formula Of Carbon Dioxide And Water
- The correct electron dot structure of a water molecule is"
- (a) Explain the term ‘isomers’. Give one example of isomers.(b) Write (i) structural formula, and (ii) electron-dot structure, of any one isomer of n-heptane. (c) Write the IUPAC name of the compound having the formula n-C4H10. (d) Write the IUPAC names for the following: "\n
- Write the formula of the product formed when the element A (atomic number 19) combines with the element B (atomic number 17). Draw its electronic dot structure. What is the nature of the bond formed?
- (a) Name the reaction which is usually used in the conversion of vegetables oils to fats. Explain the reaction involved in detail. Write a chemical equation to illustrate your answer.(b) What is saponification? Write the chemical equation of the reaction involved in this process. Name all the substances which take part in this process and also those which are formed.(c) Why does micelle formation take place when soap is added to water? Will a micelle be formed in other solvents like ethanol also?
- What type of bonds are present in water molecule? Draw the electron-dot structure of water (H2O).
- (a) What is thermit process? Where is this process used? Write a balanced chemical equation for the reaction involved.(b) Where does the metal aluminium, used in the process, occurs in the reactivity series of metals?(c) Name the substances that are getting oxidised and reduced in the process.
- Molecular formula of a hydrocarbon is C3H8. Draw its complete structure and write its name.
- (a) Define the term 'isomers'(b) Draw two possible isomers of the compound with molecular formula C3H6O and write their names.(c) Give the electron dot structures of the above two compounds.
- How would you bring about the following conversions? Name the process and write the reaction involved.(a) ethanol to ethene.(b) propanol to propanoic acid. Write the reactions.