The Transport Layer of OSI Model
The transport layer (Layer 4) is responsible for delivery of an entire message from an application program on the source device to a similar application program on the destination device.
The main functions of the transport layer are as follows −
- It delivers a message from a specific process of one computer to a specific process in another computer. The transport layer adds a port address to the header of the data packet.
- It divides a message into smaller segments such that each segment contains a sequence number along with the port address. It ensures that the segments arrive correctly at the receiver’s end and then reassembles them.
- It provides an error-free point-to-point channel for both connectionless and connection-oriented services.
- It isolates the upper layers, i.e., the user support layers from any changes in hardware technology in the lower layers, i.e., network support layers.
- It identifies errors like damaged packets, lost packets, and duplication of packets, and provides adequate error-correction techniques.
Published on 13-Jul-2018 12:36:04