- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- MS Excel
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
What is SQL?
SQL (Structured Query Language) is a domain specific, standardized programming language used in programming and managing relational databases. It was initially created in the 1970s, it is used alike by developers and database administrators.
It is used for modifying database table and index structures, adding, updating and deleting rows of data, and retrieving subsets of information from within a database. Commonly used SQL statements include select, add, insert, update, delete, create, alter and truncate.
The security statements are used to control database access as well as to create user roles and permissions.
SQL database stores data in a set of tables containing rows and columns. Each column in a table corresponds to a category of data -- for example, customer name or address -- while each row contains a data value for the intersecting column.
SQL commands are in very simple and made up of meaningful English words.
Ex − Create command is used to create a new table.
CREATE TABLE table_name ( column1 datatype, column2 datatype, column3 datatype, .... );
The parameters in the column define the names corresponding to the columns of the table.
The type of data in each column is specified by the data type parameter, for example, varchar, integer, date, etc.
- Related Articles
- What is PL/SQL?
- What is SQL Injection?
- What is NoSQL (Not Only SQL database)
- What is JDBC SQL Escape Syntax Explain?
- What is the use of IGNORE_SPACE SQL mode?
- What is the use of ALLOW_INVALID_DATES SQL mode?
- What is the difference between SQL and MySQL?
- What is the C# Equivalent of SQL Server DataTypes?
- What is the equivalent of SQL “like” in MongoDB?
- What is SQL injection? How can you prevent it?
- What is the use of update command in SQL?
- What is the use of NO_UNSIGNED_SUBTRACT SQL mode in handling overflow?
- Difference between SQL(Structured Query Language) and T-SQL(Transact-SQL).
- Difference between SQL and PL/SQL
- Difference Between SQL and T-SQL