- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- MS Excel
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
What is payroll accounting in finance and accounting?
Payroll accounting deals with calculations and distributions of employee’s compensations like salaries, bonuses, commissions, overtime pay. It also helps higher level management to make decisions about labour cost.
Type of payroll accounting includes −
Initial recordings − Records gross wages, employment taxes which are owed to government
Accrued wages − Records wages owned to employees which are paid later. Readjustments are made after payments.
Manual payments − Records when company pays manually for pay adjustments or employee terminations.
Steps for payroll accounting includes −
- To hire employees.
- Prepare paperwork regarding payments of employees.
- Pay checks.
- Record payroll.
Steps to record payroll in general ledger are −
- Record payroll expenses.
- Record payroll liabilities.
- Transition accounting periods.
General example for journal entry
An example for journal entry is explained below −
|Federal income tax withheld||XXXX|
|FICA Taxes payable||XXXX|
|Union Dues withheld||XXXX|
Payroll accountant duties includes the following −
- Calculating gross pay.
- To calculate total deductions.
- Calculate total amount to be paid to employees.
- Authorise the amount of payments distribution of payroll.
- Issues reports to higher management regarding labour costs.
- Related Articles
- Explain accounting period in finance and accounting.
- What is accounting cycle in finance?
- What is matching concept in finance & accounting?
- Differentiate between finance and accounting.
- What is dual aspect concept in accounting & finance?
- What is accounting and derive accounting equation?
- What are the sources of fund in finance and accounting?
- Describe the term amortisation in finance and accounting.
- What is Accounting? Different Types of Accounting
- Describe about bank reconciliation concept in accounting & finance
- Differentiate cash accounting and accrual accounting.
- What is accounting beta?
- What is acquisition accounting?
- What is hedge accounting?
- What is accounting conservatism?