- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
What is ledger in accounting?
61 Lectures 1 hours
43 Lectures 33.5 hours
Ledger is a summary of all transactions in a journal. A ledger is a record of all business transactions made by a firm. This is often called as chart of accounts.
General ledger has three account types namely assets, liabilities and equity accounts. Most of the firms have almost same accounts like cash, account payable and retained earnings, but some may have specialised accounts for specific projects.
Types of ledgers are −
Sales ledger −Maintains sales transactions (service or goods sold) of a firm
Purchase ledger −Maintain purchase transactions (services, goods purchased) of a firm
General ledger −Records expenses, income, depreciation etc. in nominal ledger and records salaries, wages, capitals etc., in private ledger
Ledger account examples
|Assets||Liabilities||Stock||Operation revenues||Operating expenses|
|Cash||Debt||Stockholder equity||sales||Salaries and wages|
|Land||Account payables||Common stock||Services fees||Office expenses|
|Account receivables||Loans||Retained earnings||Depreciation expense|
General ledger account format
|Name of the business|
|Name of the document – General ledger|
|Date||Particulars||Dr (OR) Cr||Account no.||Post ref||Debit||Credit|
|Xx/xx/xxxx||Owners fund (Rs. 100000)|
|Bank||Decrease in Cr|
|Property||Increase in Dr|
- What is difference between general ledger and sub ledger?
- What is payroll accounting in finance and accounting?
- What is accounting and derive accounting equation?
- What is Accounting? Different Types of Accounting
- What is accounting beta?
- What is acquisition accounting?
- What is hedge accounting?
- What is GDR in accounting?
- What is ADR in accounting?
- What is appraisal in accounting?
- What is carryover method accounting?
- What is accounting cycle in finance?
- What is trial balance in accounting?
- What is Accrual Principle in Accounting?
- What is difference between trail balance and general ledger?