- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
What is channel allocation in computer network?
When there are more than one user who desire to access a shared network channel, an algorithm is deployed for channel allocation among the competing users. The network channel may be a single cable or optical fiber connecting multiple nodes, or a portion of the wireless spectrum. Channel allocation algorithms allocate the wired channels and bandwidths to the users, who may be base stations, access points or terminal equipment.
Channel Allocation Schemes
Channel Allocation may be done using two schemes −
- Static Channel Allocation
- Dynamic Channel Allocation
Static Channel Allocation
In static channel allocation scheme, a fixed portion of the frequency channel is allotted to each user. For N competing users, the bandwidth is divided into N channels using frequency division multiplexing (FDM), and each portion is assigned to one user.
This scheme is also referred as fixed channel allocation or fixed channel assignment.
In this allocation scheme, there is no interference between the users since each user is assigned a fixed channel. However, it is not suitable in case of a large number of users with variable bandwidth requirements.
Dynamic Channel Allocation
In dynamic channel allocation scheme, frequency bands are not permanently assigned to the users. Instead channels are allotted to users dynamically as needed, from a central pool. The allocation is done considering a number of parameters so that transmission interference is minimized.
This allocation scheme optimises bandwidth usage and results is faster transmissions.
Dynamic channel allocation is further divided into centralised and distributed allocation.
- Static Channel Allocation in computer network
- Dynamic Channel Allocation in computer network
- What is a static channel allocation in computer networks?
- What is a Dynamic channel allocation in computer networks?
- Assumptions for Dynamic Channel Allocation
- What is Computer Network?
- What is Star Network Topology in Computer Network?
- What is Ring Network Topology in Computer Network?
- What is Tree Network Topology in Computer Network?
- What is Bus Network Topology in Computer Network?
- What is MultiDrop Network Topology in Computer Network?
- What is Payload in Computer Network?
- What is multicasting in Computer Network?
- What is Broadcasting in Computer Network?
- What is Firewall in Computer Network?