- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
What is a Data Model in DBMS?
It is a collection of concepts that can be used to describe the structure of a database. The structure of the database means data types, relationships and constraints that should hold the data nothing but it provides the necessary means to achieve the abstraction.
A Model is basically a conceptualization between attributes and entities.
There are basically three main data models in the Database Management System (DBMS), which are as follows −
But these days many new data models are being developed.
Components of data model
The data model can have three components which are as follows −
Structural part − It consists of a set of rules according to which database can be constructed.
Manipulation part − Defining the types of operations which are allowed on data.
Set of integrity rules − It ensures that the data is accurate.
Data Model Basic Building Blocks
The building blocks in the data model are as follows:
Entity − An entity represents a particular type of object in the real world.
Entity set − Sets of entities of the same type which share the same properties are called entity Sets.
Attribute − An attribute is a characteristic of an entity.
Constraints − A constraint is a restriction placed on the data. It is helpful to ensure data integrity.
Relationship − A relationship describes an association among entities.
Pictorial representation of Data Model
The data model is pictorially represented as follows −
- What is Hierarchical model in DBMS?
- What is an ER model in DBMS?
- What is an Entity relationship model in DBMS?
- What is Data Independence in DBMS?
- What is data Abstraction in DBMS?
- Explain the object oriented data model in DBMS?
- What are constraints on ER model in DBMS?
- What is the data Dictionary or metadata in DBMS?
- What is a database(dbms)?
- What is a BCG Model?
- Explain the Network Model in DBMS?
- Explain the Relational Model in DBMS?
- What is the difference between data and information in DBMS?
- What is a multimedia database (DBMS)?
- Difference Between E-R Model and Relational Model in DBMS