- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
What is the difference between data and information in DBMS?
Before understanding the difference between data and information, let’s have a look at the definitions of data and information with an example.
Data is the raw material that can be processed for any computing machine.
For example − Employee name, Product name, Name of the student, Marks of the student, Mobile number, Image etc.
Information is the data that has been converted into more useful or intelligent form.
For example: Report card sheet.
The information is needed for the following reasons −
To gain knowledge about the surroundings.
To keep the system up to date.
To know about the rules and regulations of the society.
The human mind purposefully organizes the information and evaluates it to produce knowledge.
Example of data, information and knowledge
A student secures 450 marks. Here 450 is data, marks of the student is the information and hard work required to get the marks is knowledge.
The major differences between Data and Information are as follows −
|Data is the raw fact.||It is a processed form of data.|
|It is not significant to a business.||It is significant to a business.|
|Data is an atomic level piece of information.||It is a collection of data.|
|Example: Product name, Name of student.||Example: Report card of student.|
|It is a phenomenal fact.||It is organized data.|
|This is the primary level of intelligence.||It is a secondary level of intelligence.|
|May or may not be meaningful.||Always meaningful.|
|Understanding is difficult.||Understanding is easy.|
The diagram given below depicts the use of data and information in a database −
- Difference Between Data and Information
- What is the difference between freedom of information and information privacy?
- What is the difference between SHA and MD5 in Information Security?
- What is the difference between Hashing and Encryption in Information Security?
- What is the difference between Confusion and Diffusion in information security?
- What is the difference between Encryption and Steganography in Information Security?
- What is the difference between data security and data integrity?
- What is the difference between Data Mining and Data Warehouse?
- What is the difference between MAC and Hash function in Information Security?
- Difference between DBMS and RDBMS
- What is the difference between SOAP and RESTful Web Services in information security?
- What is the difference between Physical Security and Logical Security in information security?
- What is the difference between memory card and smart card in information security?
- What is the difference between Linear Cryptanalysis and Differential Cryptanalysis in Information Security?
- Difference between DDL and DML in DBMS.