- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Types of Motor Enclosures and Their Applications
The part of an electric motor that protects the motor from the contaminants in the environment in which it is operating and persons being from touch is called the motor enclosure.
The motor enclosures are necessary for the following reasons −
It protects the motor against foreign body and severe conditions.
It protects the inner parts of the motor.
It protects the operating personal from live parts of the motor such as winding terminals, slip rings, brushes, etc.
Types of Motor Enclosures
Indian Standards (IS) 4691 have described codes for different types of enclosures. The most common types of electric motor enclosures are given as follows −
Open Protected Type − This enclosure provides free access to air and sufficient mechanical protection to the motor.
Scree Protected Type − This type of enclosure provides addition protection to the motor. It has metal grids or perforated covers.
Drip Proof Type − This type of enclosure has openings for ventilation which are so provided that it prevents vertically falling water or dirt from entering inside the motor.
Splash Proof Type − With this type of enclosure, liquid or solid particles falling on the motor at any angle between the vertically downward direction and 100° from that direction cannot enter the motor.
Totally Enclosed Type − In this type of enclosure, there will be no free circulation of air between the inside and outside of the motor.
Pipe Ventilated Type − In this type of motor enclosure, pipes or ducts are provided for the continuous supply of fresh ventilating air.
Explosion Proof Type − These enclosures are manufactured in such a way to withstand an internal explosion and the motor frame will not rupture or burst.
Weather Proof Type − In these enclosures, additional screens are installed to prevent entrance of large particles of debris and rain into the motor.
Applications of Various Types of Motor Enclosures
The following table shows the details about the enclosures used for motors −
|Industrial Location||Type of Contamination||Type of Motor Enclosure Recommended|
|General industrial installations (non-explosive atmosphere)|
|Metal working machinery (non-explosive atmosphere)||Totally enclosed type|
|Chemical plant (Non-explosive atmosphere)||Totally enclosed type|
|Mines and other hazardous locations||Explosive proof type|
- Different Types of Transformers and Their Applications
- An overview of Anatomy, its types and their applications
- Capacitor-Start Induction Motor – Characteristics and Applications
- Hysteresis Motor – Construction, Operation, Characteristics and Applications
- Linear Induction Motor: Design, Performance, and Applications
- Universal Motor – Construction, Operation, Characteristics and Applications
- Synchronous Motor: Features, Applications, Advantages and Disadvantages
- Types of DC Motor
- AC Motor Types: Synchronous Motor & Induction Motor
- Digital Circuits and Their Applications
- Resistance Heating: Types, Advantages, and Applications
- What are neutralisation and their applications?
- What is LASER? – Construction, Types, and Applications
- Electric Arc Welding: Working Principle, Types, and Applications
- Types of DBMS Entities and their examples