- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- MS Excel
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
How will you test a leaf for starch, also mention precautions to be taken.
Starch Testing Experiment
1. Two plants
2. Beaker or glass jar
3. Saucepan on the stove
4. Ethyl alcohol
5. Iodine solution
Test for starch in plants:
1. Keep one of the plants in a dark room and another one on a sunny windowsill for 24 hours.
2. Fill the beaker or jar with ethyl alcohol. Keep it in a saucepan full of water. Heat the pan until the ethyl alcohol begins to boil.
3. Dip each of the leaves in the hot water for 60 seconds and then in the ethyl alcohol for 2 minutes or until they turn almost white. Keep them aside in a separate shallow dish.
4. Cover the leaves with iodine solution and observe.
Reaction: The hot water kills the leaf and the alcohol breaks down the chlorophyll. This removes the green colour of the leaf. When we put iodine on the leaves one of them will turn blue-black and the other will be a reddish-brown. Because the leaf that was in the light performed photosynthesis and produced starch. Iodine is an indicator that turns blue-black in the presence of starch.
Precaution: Keep ethanol away from naked flames. Wear eye protection while working with ethanol and iodine solution.
- Related Articles
- Why a green leaf is bleached before carrying out a starch test?
- Mention three precautions that you will take to protect yourself from earthquake strikes when you are inside the house.
- What precautions must be taken while shopping online?
- How would you test the presence of starch in leaves?
- How Can You Test the Presence of Starch in A Leaf? What Do You Conclude When White Patches Do Not Turn Blue-Black On Adding Iodine Solution?
- What precautions are to be taken when we go to see a newborn baby?
- How will you test for sugar and protein in a food item?
- Do you think that parallel parking test should also be made mandatory for Indian drivers?
- What Will Happen When You Add a Drop of Iodine to Starch?
- What are antibiotics? What precautions must be taken while taking antibiotics?
- What precautions should be taken to keep away from various sexually transmitted diseases?
- What precautions will you take to justify prevention is better than me"."
- What precautions will you take to make accurate measurements in day-to-day affairs?
- How will you run a prerequisite method and post condition method for\nevery test in TestNG?
- How will you test whether a given solution is a colloidal solution?