- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Data Link Layer Design Issues
The data link layer in the OSI (Open System Interconnections) Model, is in between the physical layer and the network layer. This layer converts the raw transmission facility provided by the physical layer to a reliable and error-free link.
The main functions and the design issues of this layer are
- Providing services to the network layer
- Error Control
- Flow Control
Services to the Network Layer
In the OSI Model, each layer uses the services of the layer below it and provides services to the layer above it. The data link layer uses the services offered by the physical layer.The primary function of this layer is to provide a well defined service interface to network layer above it.
The types of services provided can be of three types −
- Unacknowledged connectionless service
- Acknowledged connectionless service
- Acknowledged connection - oriented service
The data link layer encapsulates each data packet from the network layer into frames that are then transmitted.
A frame has three parts, namely −
- Frame Header
- Payload field that contains the data packet from network layer
The data link layer ensures error free link for data transmission. The issues it caters to with respect to error control are −
- Dealing with transmission errors
- Sending acknowledgement frames in reliable connections
- Retransmitting lost frames
- Identifying duplicate frames and deleting them
- Controlling access to shared channels in case of broadcasting
The data link layer regulates flow control so that a fast sender does not drown a slow receiver. When the sender sends frames at very high speeds, a slow receiver may not be able to handle it. There will be frame losses even if the transmission is error-free. The two common approaches for flow control are −
- Feedback based flow control
- Rate based flow control
- Design Issues in Data Link Layer
- What are data link layer design issues?
- Network Layer Design Issues
- What are the Network Layer Design issues?
- Network Data Link Layer
- What are the design Issues in the Physical Layer?
- Framing in Data Link Layer
- Error control in Data Link Layer
- Flow control in Data Link Layer
- General Data Link Layer Frame Structure
- What is Data Link Layer Switching?
- What is the data link layer?
- What is a Data Link Layer?
- The Data Link Layer of OSI Model
- What are elementary data link layer protocols?