- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Lambda and filter Examples in Python
In this tutorial, we are going to see a different example of the lambda and filter functions in Python. Let's start the tutorial by knowing about the lambda and filter expression and function respectively.
lambda expression is used to write simple functions simply. Suppose if we want to find about even numbers then, writing a lambda expression will save time for us.
If you are not familiar with the lambda expression go to the tutorial section of tutorialspoint to learn about it in more detail.
filter(func, iter) function
filter(func, iter) takes two arguments one is function and another one is iter variable, and it returns filter object which we can convert into an iterator. The resultant iterator will contain all the elements which are returned by the func by performing some operation that has written inside the function.
If you are not familiar with the filter function go to the tutorial section of tutorialspoint to learn about it in more detail.
So, we have noticed that we can use lambda expressions inside the filter(func, iter) function. Let's see one example which filters out the even numbers from a list.
See the expected input and output.
Input: nums = [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10] Output: [2, 4, 6, 8, 10]
Let's follow the below steps to achieve our desired output.
1. Initialise the list of numbers. 2. Write a lambda expression which returns even numbers and pass it to filter function along with the iter. 3. Convert the filter object into an iter. 4. Print the result.
Let's see the code.
## initializing the list nums = [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10] ## writing lambda expression inside the filter function ## every element will be passed to lambda expression and it will return true if it satisfies the condition which we have written ## filter function function will yield all those returned values and it stores them in filter object ## when we convert filter object to iter then, it will values which are true result = filter(lambda x: x % 2 == 0, nums) ## converting and printing the result print(list(result))
If you run the above program, you will get the following output.
[2, 4, 6, 8, 10]
If you have any doubts regarding the tutorial, mention them in the comment section.
- Lambda and filter in Python Examples
- The intersection of two arrays in Python (Lambda expression and filter function )
- Filter in Python
- Example filter() in python
- What is filter() in python?
- Map function and Lambda expression in Python to replace characters
- Lambda expression in Python to rearrange positive and negative numbers
- Python - Filter Supersequence Strings
- What is lambda binding in Python?
- Lambda expression in Python Program to rearrange positive and negative numbers
- Python – Filter Sorted Rows
- How to use Lambda Function in Python?
- Tkinter button commands with lambda in Python
- Timeit in Python with Examples?