- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
How is climate change affecting ecosystem on earth?
Climate is changing globally due to increased pollution and global warming. Changing climate affects ecosystems in a variety of ways. For example, due to global warming, many species are forced to migrate to higher latitudes or higher elevations where temperatures are more conducive to their survival.
The sea level is rising every day and due to this saltwater intrusion into a freshwater system is forcing many species to relocate or die and creating a disturbance in the existing ecosystem.
Climate changes can cause extreme weather conditions, with increased global temperature where mountain regions get a lot of snowfall and might be experiencing shorter winters and more rains.
Climate change causes the increase in Global Mean Sea Level (GMSL) and the rate of increase over the past 20years has been roughly 2X the average speed of preceding 80years. Increased erosion of coastal areas can cause beaches to disappear all-together. But remember 40% of the entire population lives within 100kms of the coast.
Climate change doesn't just affect the polar bears but people too. We are not separate from nature, so when climate changes affect ecosystems and our biosphere, it affects us.
Changing environmental conditions can cause the decline of local biodiversity. If this happens, the eco-systems resistance may decline, resulting in loss of stability in the ecosystem.
Ecosystems which serve as natural buffers from extreme events like such floods, drought, wildfires etc., when disturbed, will have restricted capacity to temper the impacts of extreme conditions. This may increase the vulnerability for more damage.
Change in the climate system and ecological conditions result in the spread of pathogens, parasites, and diseases. This may have serious effects on not only human health but also agriculture and fisheries.
Due to climate change, many species are not able to survive the changed weather conditions. Many species are becoming extinct as the ecosystem is losing balance. Ex. Sparrows have become extinct in many places due to global warming.
Many species for which the climate where they live influences key stages of their annual life cycle. Birds migrate in a particular season and when the season is delayed, the migration will also affect.
In the same way, the blooming of flowers, and reproduction in some species is altered due to deferred season's onset. As winters have become shorter and milder, the timing of these events has changed in some parts of the country.
- How internet use is affecting computer illiterates?
- Why is the atmosphere much rarer on the moon than on the earth?
- What is the difference between humans and other species on earth?
- Which creature on the earth has the strongest memory?
- Assume, today is your last day on this earth. How would you like to spend it?
- How is technology affecting the lives of people with disabilities?
- Medium-Earth Orbit Satellites
- Low-Earth Orbit Satellites
- Who was the first person on Earth according to Hindu mythology?
- What is Electrodeposition? (Factors Affecting the Quality of Electrodeposition)
- How to change NAT type on PC
- How do earthquakes affect the geography of the earth?
- How Google Earth VR makes Virtual Travel a Reality?
- MongoDB many inserts\updates without affecting performance?
- What are the factors affecting financial management?