- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Explain about Double-declining balance method in accounting.
61 Lectures 1 hours
43 Lectures 33.5 hours
As the name suggest double declining, the asset is depreciated twice the rate than straight line method. It is also called accelerated depreciation. It does not mean depreciation is higher, it depreciates higher amount in initial years of asset and gradually depreciation expenses decrease in later years of the asset as compared to straight line depreciation.
- Double decline balance method = 2 * cost of the asset * depreciation rate
- Double declining balance method = 2 * (cost of the asset/useful life)
Steps to calculate double declining method are as follows −
- Cost of asset (initial cost).
- Calculate salvage value.
- Determine life of the asset.
- Calculate depreciation rate (straight line).
- Multiple calculated depreciation rate in above step by 2.
- Calculate depreciate amount.
- Readjust the amount by reducing the depreciation amount.
- Repeat the above steps till it reaches its salvage value.
Advantages are as follows −
- Reduces tax obligations.
- Matched maintenance cost.
- Minimum loss.
- Good interest.
Disadvantages are mentioned below −
- Low dividends.
- More complicated than straight line depreciation.
- Value of asset can never be zero.
- Poor performance.
Let after depreciation by double decline method …. Year 2 expense be YYYY
Then journal entry inn year 2 will be
- Explain about balance sheet in accounting.
- Explain about Diminishing balance method in depreciation.
- Explain about income statement in accounting.
- Explain about straight line depreciation in accounting.
- Explain about types of accounting and its golden rules.
- Explain about single step income statement in accounting with example.
- What is trial balance in accounting?
- Explain about Mileage method of depreciation.
- Describe about systems of accounting.
- Explain accounting period in finance and accounting.
- Explain about Units of production method in depreciation.
- Explain cash based accounting.
- Explain double entry system
- Explain about financial strategy.
- Explain about Transfer pricing