- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Explain about Units of production method in depreciation.
61 Lectures 1 hours
43 Lectures 33.5 hours
Units of production method is a bit different from other methods of depreciation. This method is also called as units of activity and units of usage method of depreciation. In this method, depreciation is calculated based on number of units produced rather than useful life of an asset.
In year, when number of units produced high will depreciate more amount and when number of units produced low will depreciate low amount.
Depreciation per unit = (cost – salvage value)/total estimated production unit
Depreciation expenses = depreciation rate per unit * unit produced in a particular year
Steps involved are as follows −
- Calculate total number of hours or number of units produced.
- Subtract estimated salvage value from capital cost.
- Divide with total estimated usage or production.
- Multiply with number of hours of usage.
Some of the advantages are as follows −
- Depreciation is charged based on the usage of the asset.
- Efficiency of the asset can be determined.
- More accurate to calculate profit or loss.
- More useful in manufacturing business.
Some of the disadvantages are as follows −
- Only number of produced units will take in account for calculating depreciation.
- Very difficult to calculate depreciation.
- More complexity.
- Same assets can be depreciated based on usage.
- Can’t be used for tax purpose.
The limitations are as follows −
- Can’t apply when machine is idle.
- Applicable mostly to manufacturing assets.
- Ignores efflux of time.
- Trading companies, service industry etc. will use straight line method rather than units of production method.
- Explain about Mileage method of depreciation.
- Explain about Diminishing balance method in depreciation.
- Calculate depreciation using productin units method
- Explain revaluation method of depreciation.
- Explain about straight line depreciation in accounting.
- Explain insurance policy method of depreciation
- Explain about Earnings before interest taxes depreciation and amortization (EBITDA).
- Explain the concept of machine hour rate depreciation method.
- Explain sinking fund depreciation.
- Explain the concept of depreciation in accounting.
- Sinking Fund Method of Depreciation
- Differentiate between sinking fund depreciation and annuity method of depreciation.
- Explain about Double-declining balance method in accounting.
- Diminishing Value Method of Calculating Depreciation
- Straight Line Method of Calculating Depreciation