- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Differentiate between recession and slowdown
Both terms recession and slowdown affects the economy negatively. Cause, manner and degree in which they affect the economy differ.
It is the term used in general economic activity. In macroeconomics, recession is recognized when there is negative GDP growth rate after two consecutive quarters. Recession is the part of the economic cycle of expansion and contraction.
Recession indicators are as follows −
- Gross Domestic product (negative GDP indicates sharp decline in productivity)
- Real income (purchasing power depends on real income, if real income decrease then purchasing power decreases)
- Manufacturing (exports/imports and trade surplus/deficits with other countries
- strength health of manufacturing sector)
- Wholesale/retail (measures market performance of goods)
- Employment (if unemployment is more than 6% of total is problematic and it is lagging indicator)
Recession causes are as follows −
- Real factors (structural shifts and external economic conditions triggers recession)
- Financial/nominal factors (interest rates and relationship between goods)
- Psychological factors
It causes monetary and fiscal effects. Decrease/fall in short term interest rates, tightens credit availability, consumption rates are reduced, inflation rate goes down, more job cuts.
Economic growth reduces or at slow date, this situation can be termed as slowdown. In slowdown there will be decline in gross domestic product when compared to other quarters. Effects of a slowdown are not much harsh compared to recession. Some of the effects are low production rates and increase in unemployment
In quarter 1 (Q1), GDP increased to 1.5% from the previous quarter and later decreased to 1% and 0.8% in the next two quarters. Now, we can say the economy is slowing down.
The major differences between recession and slow down are as follows −
|1||Gross Domestic Product (GDP) declined for two successive quarters.||Economic growth at reduced or slow rate.|
|2||Affects economic stability for longer periods.||Affects economic stability for shorter periods.|
|3||Low production and high unemployment.||Effects particular sectors and unemployment.|
|4||Worldwide impact.||Only some/specific countries have an impact.|
- Compare depression and recession
- Global Recession
- Differentiate between ADR AND GDR.
- Differentiate between invoice and bill.
- Differentiate between investing and trading.
- Differentiate between company and firm.
- Differentiate between finance and accounting.
- Differentiate between EBIT AND EBITDA.
- Differentiate between revenue and turnover.
- Differentiate between inhalation and exhalation?
- Differentiate between climate and weather.
- Differentiate between absorption and assimilation.
- Differentiate between cell and atom.
- Differentiate between Bone and Cartilage.
- Differentiate between Cell and Battery.