- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Difference between Operating System and Kernel
Operating System manages a computer and acts as an interface between user and computer. Operting system is the first program that starts when a computer is booted up.
Kernel is the core component of the operating system and is responsible to convert user commands to machine level language commands.
Following are the important differences between Operating System and Kernel.
|Sr. No.||Key||Operating System||Kernel|
|1||Type||Operating system is a system software.||Kernel is a part of operating system.|
|2||Work||Operating system acts as an interface between user and hardware.||Kernel acts as an interface between applications and hardware.|
|3||Main tasks||Ease of doing system operations, security etc.||Memory management, space management, process management and task management.|
|4||Basis||A computer need Operating System to run.||An Operating System needs Kernel to run.|
|5||Types||Operating Systems types are multiuser, multitasking, multiprocessor, realtime, distributed etc.||Kernel types are monolithic kernel and micro kernel.|
|6||Boot||Operating System is the first program to load when computer boots up.||Kernel is the first program to load when operating system loads.|
- Difference Between Kernel and Operating System
- What is the difference between a kernel and an operating system?
- Difference Between Network Operating System and Distributed Operating System
- Difference Between Linux and Windows Operating System
- Difference Between Time Sharing and Real-Time Operating System
- Difference Between Logical and Physical Address in Operating System
- Difference Between Microkernel and Monolithic Kernel
- Distinguish between Machine and operating system virtualization.
- What are the roles of the user interface and kernel of an operating system?
- What is the motivation to implement a micro-kernel in an operating system?
- Operating System Design and Implementation
- Difference between AI and Expert System
- What are the differences between Unix and Linux Operating System?
- Difference between SAP ECC system and SAP BW system?
- Layered Operating System