- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Difference between Database and a Blockchain
Database represents a data structure comprised of tables, schemas to store user and system information. It provides SQL to Create, Read, Delete and Update its records. DBMS, Database management systems manages a database. Usually Database administrators modifies the sensitive data. A database follows client-server model architecture.
Blockchain represents a chain of blocks analogous to records in database. This chain grows as blocks are added to it during operations. These blocks contains link to previous block using cryptographic hash of address of the block, timestamp and transaction data. A block once added to the blockchain cannot be modified by design. A Blockchain allows decentralized control as is not modifiable thus elliminates any risk of modification of data by people who can access the system.
Following are the important differences between Database and Blockchain.
|1||Data Storage Approach||Database follows centralized storage approach.||Blockchain follows decentralized storage approach.|
|2||Administration||A Database Administrator is required to manage a database.||No central administrator is required to manage a blockchain.|
|3||Data Modification||A database record can be modified by anyone who have sufficient access to the system.||Any blockchain user have a copy of the blockchain and modification to the copy will not be reflected on master blockchain as it is non-modifiable.|
|4||Versions||A database maintains the latest updates only.||A blockchain maintains the current changes as well as previous changes.|
|5||Preferred For||A database is preferred when data is large in amount and often needs modification.||Blockchain is preferred to store transactional data and is used in bitcoin extensively.|
- Difference between IoT and Blockchain
- Difference Between Blockchain and Bitcoin?
- Difference Between Blockchain and Cryptocurrency
- Difference between a Server and a Database
- Difference between Hierarchical Database and Relational Database
- Difference between a data warehouse database and an OLTP database?
- Difference between Schema and Database in MySQL?
- Difference between Data Warehouse and Operational Database
- Difference between Operational Database and Data Warehouse?
- What is the Difference Between a Block chain and a Database?
- Difference between Row oriented and column oriented database
- Difference between hierarchical and network database model in SQL
- Difference between Primary key and Foreign key in Database
- What’s the connection between Java and Blockchain?
- Difference between Primary key and Foreign key in SQL Database