- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- MS Excel
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Difference between Cache Memory and Virtual Memory
Cache Memory is memory area which contains recently used data and it is used by CPU to increase speed. Whenever a program is to be executed, it is copied to cache memory and then CPU executes it. If it is already present, then program is executed.
Virtual Memory is a technique to increase the main memory capacity. It uses data swap technology and hard disk area is used as virtual memory.
Following are the important differences between Cache Memory and Virtual Memory.
|Sr. No.||Key||Cache Memory||Virtual Memory|
|1||Objective||Cache memory increase CPU access speed.||Virtual memory increase main memory capacity.|
|2||Memory Unit||Cache memory is a memory unit and is very fast to access.||Virtual memory is a technique and involes hard disk and is slower to access.|
|3||Management||CPU and related hardwares manages cache memory.||Operating System manages virtual memory.|
|4||Size||Cache memory is small in size.||Size of virtual memory is much larger than cache memory.|
|5||Operation||Cache memory keeps recently used data.||Virtual memory keeps the programs which are not getting accomodated in main memory.|
- Related Articles
- Difference between Virtual memory and Cache memory
- Difference Between Virtual and Cache Memory in OS
- What is Cache Memory? (Functions and Types of Cache Memory)
- Difference between Volatile Memory and Non-Volatile Memory
- Difference between Byte Addressable Memory and Word Addressable Memory
- What is the relationship between Address and Memory Space in a Virtual Memory System?
- Difference between Memory and Storage
- Difference Between Register and Memory
- What is Virtual Memory?
- Difference Between RAM and ROM Memory
- Difference Between Primary and Secondary Memory
- Difference between Hard Drive and Memory
- What is Cache Memory in Computer Architecture?
- Difference between Stack and Heap memory in Java