- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- MS Excel
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
A molecule of ammonia (NH3 ) has
(a) only single bonds
(b) only double bonds
(c) only triple bonds
(d) two double bonds and one single bond
Correct Answer: (a) only single bonds
Explanation: Nitrogen has three electrons in its outermost shell and hydrogen has 1. 3 hydrogen atoms combines with 1 nitrogen atom to make ammonia. These bonds are single bonds.
- Related Articles
- Name a carbon containing molecule which has two double bonds.
- (a) Giving their structures, state the number of single bonds, double bonds and triple bonds(if any) following compounds:(i) ethyne (ii) ethene (iii)benzene (b) Write the molecular formula and structure of cyclohexane. How many covalent bonds are there in the molecule of cyclohexane?
- Ethane with molecular formula C2H6 has(a) 6 covalent bonds(b) 7 covalent bonds(c) 8 covalent bonds(d) 9 covalent bonds.
- Rating of Bonds - Investment Grade, Speculative, and Junk Bonds
- Two organic compounds A and B have the same molecular formula C6H12. Write the names and structural formulae:(a) if A is a cyclic compound(b) if B is an open chain compound(c) Which compound contains single bonds as well as a double bond?(d) Which compound contains only single bond?
- The unsaturated hydrocarbons which contain one or more double bonds are called ____________.
- Differentiate stock and bonds.
- What are pure discount bonds?
- How are covalent bonds formed?
- Write the number of covalent bonds in the molecule of butane, C4H10.
- Give one example each of the following:(i) A molecule containing a single covalent bond (ii) A molecule containing a double covalent bond (iii) A molecule containing a triple covalent bond (iv) A compound containing an ionic bond
- Ethane, with the molecular formula C2H6, has(a) 6 covalent bonds
- Write the difference between debentures and bonds.
- (a) Give IUPAC names and formulae of an organic compound containing single bonds and the other containing a triple bond.(b) Which of the following is the molecular formula of benzene? C6H6 , C6H10 , C6H12 , C6H14 (c) Which of the two has a branched chain: isobutene or normal butane?
- You are given the following molecular formulae of some hydrocarbons:C5H8 ; C7H14 ; C6H6 ; C5H10 ; C7H12 ; C6H12 (a) Which formula represents cyclohexane as well as hexane? (b) Which formula represents benzene? (c) Which three formulae represent open chain unsaturated hydrocarbons having double bonds? (d) Which two formulae represent unsaturated hydrocarbons having triple bonds? (e) Which three formulae can represent cyclic hydrocarbons?