- Python Basic Tutorial
- Python - Home
- Python - Overview
- Python - Environment Setup
- Python - Basic Syntax
- Python - Comments
- Python - Variables
- Python - Data Types
- Python - Operators
- Python - Decision Making
- Python - Loops
- Python - Numbers
- Python - Strings
- Python - Lists
- Python - Tuples
- Python - Dictionary
- Python - Date & Time
- Python - Functions
- Python - Modules
- Python - Files I/O
- Python - Exceptions
- Python Advanced Tutorial
- Python - Classes/Objects
- Python - Reg Expressions
- Python - CGI Programming
- Python - Database Access
- Python - Networking
- Python - Sending Email
- Python - Multithreading
- Python - XML Processing
- Python - GUI Programming
- Python - Further Extensions
What is the best way to run all Python files in a directory?
To run a python file in a directory, we generally use the python or python3 command. However, it only runs a single file at a time. But executing one file each on a shell script seems cumbersome. Therefore, we must come up with a way to execute all files present in a directory simultaneously.
There are two ways to do this in a shell program −
Using loops in bash
The fastest and easiest way to run all Python files in a directory is to use loops. You can use bash to do this for you.
Bash is a command-line interface shell program that is used in Linux and macOS. It is developed by Brian Fox as a successor to the Bourne Shell, hence, an acronym for Bourne Again Shell.
For example, create a new file called run_all_py.sh and write the following in it −
for f in *.py; do python"$f"; done
Now, run the file using the following command −
$ bash run_all_py.sh
xargs is only available on UNIX. It can be used in parallel to execute these files. This is very helpful in today’s multi-core processor systems.
To execute all files in a directory, use the following command in the shell −
$ ls *.py|xargs -n 1 -P 4 python
- Related Articles
- What is the best way to run all Python files in a directory?
- How to delete all files in a directory with Python?
- What is the best way to log a Python exception?
- Java program to delete all the files in a directory recursively (only files)
- How to find all files in a directory with extension .txt in Python?
- How do I list all files of a directory in Python?
- How to list all files in a directory using Java?
- Java program to List all files in a directory recursively
- How to unzip all zipped files in a Linux directory?
- Golang program to get all files present in a directory
- C# Program to Get all Files Present in a Directory
- What is the best way to learn Python and Django?
- Java program to merge contents of all the files in a directory
- What is best way to check if a list is empty in Python?
- What is the best way to handle list empty exception in Python?
- How to get all the files, sub files and their size inside a directory in C#?