- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Real-Time Embedded Systems
Real time systems are those systems that work within strict time constraints and provide a worst case time estimate for critical situations. Embedded systems provide a specific function in a much larger system. When there is an embedded component in a real time system, it is known as a real time embedded system.
Types of Real Time Embedded Systems
There are primarily two types of real time embedded systems i.e. hard and soft. An illustration to explain this further is −
Hard Real Time Embedded System
This type of system makes sure that all critical processes are completed within the given time frame. This means that all the delays in the system are strictly time bound. Also, there is little to no secondary memory and data is stored in short term memory or read only memory. Hard real time systems are used in various areas such as missiles, airplanes etc.
Soft Real Time Embedded System
These are much less constrictive than hard real time systems but the basic premise is the same i.e critical processes need to be completed within the given time frame. However, this time frame can be a little flexible. Soft real time systems are used in various areas such as multimedia, scientific projects etc.
Applications of Real Time Embedded Systems
There are various applications of real time embedded systems. Some of these are −
- Vehicle control systems for automobiles, ships, railways, airplanes etc.
- Telephones, radio and satellite communications.
- Medical systems for radiation therapy, heart treatments, patient monitoring etc.
- Military operations such as firing of missiles, military control bases etc.
- Systems with artificial intelligence and robotics.
- Multimedia systems that provides graphic, video, audio and text interfaces.
- Building control systems that manage heat,doors, elevators etc.
- Space operations such as spaceship launch and monitoring, space station control etc.
- What are the characteristics of batch, embedded, real time and mainframe operating systems?
- Netdata – A Real-Time Performance Monitoring Tool for Linux Systems
- Signals and Systems: Time Variant and Time-Invariant Systems
- What are the roles of embedded operating systems?
- Signals and Systems: Real and Complex Exponential Signals
- Signals and Systems: Linear Time-Invariant Systems
- Real Time Clock (RTC) with Arduino
- Difference Between Time Sharing and Real-Time Operating System
- Real time data replication in SAP HANA
- What is the Real Time Operating System?
- What is Real-time Communication in LAN?
- BIBO Stability of Discrete-Time Systems
- Enhance real-time performance on HTML5 canvas effects
- 8085 Program to simulate a real-time clock
- Python Get the real time currency exchange rate?