- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
How to delete multiple files in a directory in Python?
You can delete a single file or a single empty folder with functions in the os module.
For example, if you want to delete a file my_file.txt,
>>> import os >>> os.remove('my_file.txt')
The argument to os.remove must be absolute or relative path.
To delete multiple files, just loop over your list of files and use the above function. If you want to delete a folder containing all files you want to remove, you can remove the folder as follows:
>>> import shutil >>> shutil.rmtree('my_folder')
You can also use regex to delete the files matching a pattern. For example,
import os, re, os.path pattern = "^your_regex_here$" mypath = "my_folder" for root, dirs, files in os.walk(mypath): for file in filter(lambda x: re.match(pattern, x), files): os.remove(os.path.join(root, file))
- How to delete all files in a directory with Python?
- How to rename multiple files in a directory in Python?
- Java program to delete all the files in a directory recursively (only files)
- How to delete a Python directory effectively?
- How to copy files to a new directory using Python?
- Delete a directory in Java
- How to copy files into a directory in C#?
- How to find all files in a directory with extension .txt in Python?
- How do I list all files of a directory in Python?
- How can I iterate over files in a given directory in Python?
- How to list all files in a directory using Java?
- How to unzip all zipped files in a Linux directory?
- How to list the hidden files in a directory in Java?
- How to rename multiple files recursively using Python?
- How to perform grep operation on all files in a directory?