- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
File-based Data Management System
102 Lectures 7.5 hours
152 Lectures 16 hours
The systems that are used to organize and maintain data files are known as file based data systems. These file systems are used to handle a single or multiple files and are not very efficient.
The functionalities of a File-based Data Management System are as follows −
A file based system helps in basic data management for any user.
The data stored in the file based system should remain consistent. Any transactions done in the file based system should not alter the consistency property.
The file based system should not allow any illegal or potentially hazardous operations to occur on the data.
The file based system should allow concurrent access by different processes and this should be carefully coordinated.
The file based system should make sure that the data is uniformly structured and stored so it is easier to access it.
Advantages of File Based System
The file Based system is not complicated and is simpler to use.
Because of the above point, this system is quite inexpensive.
Because the file based system is simple and cheap, it is normally suitable for home users and owners of small businesses.
Since the file based system is used by smaller organisations or individual users, it stores comparatively lesser amount of data. Hence, the data can be accessed faster and more easily.
Disadvantages of File Based System
- The File based system is limited to a smaller size and cannot store large amounts of data.
- This system is relatively uncomplicated but this means it cannot support complicated queries, data recovery etc.
- There may be redundant data in the file based system as it does not have a complex mechanism to get rid of it.
- The data is not very secure in a file based system and may be corrupted or destroyed.
- The data files in the file based system may be stored across multiple locations. Consequently, it is difficult to share the data easily with multiple users.
- File System Management
- Django – Admin based File Management
- Database Management System (DBMS)
- Distributed Database Management System
- Centralized Database Management System
- Operating System Resource Management
- What are the types of system calls used in file management?
- What is Randomized Algorithms and Data Stream Management System in data mining?
- What do you mean by data base management system (dbms)?
- Relational Database Management System (RDMS)
- Advantages of Database Management System
- Limitations of Database Management System
- Path for file based data backups in SAP HANA
- Mastering Package Management system with Dpkg
- File system manipulation