- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
File system manipulation
An operating system (OS) is basically a collection of software that manages computer hardware resources and provides common services for computer programs. Operating system is a crucial component of the system software in a computer system.
These are some few common services provided by an operating system −
- Program execution
- I/O operations
- File System manipulation
- Error Detection
- Resource Allocation
A file represents a collection of related information. Computers may store files on the disk (secondary storage), for long-term storage purpose. Some Examples: magnetic tape, magnetic disk and optical disk drives like CD, DVD. They have its own properties like speed, capacity, data transfer rate and data access methods.
A file system is generally organized into directories for easy navigation and usage. These directories can contain files and other directions. Some of the major activities of an operating system with respect to file management are −
Program requires to read a file or write a file.
Operating system gives the permission to the program for operation on file.
This permission varies from read-only, read-write, denied and so on.
The Operating System provides an interface to the user to create/delete files and directories.
The Operating System provides an interface to create the backup of file system.
- File System Management
- File-based Data Management System
- Design File System in Python
- System measurement of SAP HANA system in XML file
- Matrix manipulation in Python
- C++ Floating Point Manipulation
- How to flushes file system buffers in the Linux operating system?
- List the file system roots in Java
- What is a Distributed File System (DFS)?
- Data Manipulation Commands in DBMS
- Bit manipulation program in 8051
- Array Type Manipulation in C++
- String manipulation instructions in 8086 microprocessor
- Bits manipulation (Important tactics) in C++