- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Database Management System (DBMS)
A Database Management System is defined as the software system that allows users to define, create, maintain and control access to the database.
A DBMS makes it possible for end users to create, read, update and delete data in database. It is a layer between programs and data.
Applications and Users access the DBMS which then accesses the data. There are different types of DBMS ranging from those required for small databases to those huge multifaceted databases.
A DBMS helps to define, create, manipulate and share the database among different users and applications.
All this in more detail is as follows −
Defining a database involves specifying the data types,data structures and the constraints on data.
Constructing the Database is the process of storing the data on some storage medium that is controlled by the DBMS.
Manipulating a database includes functions like querying the database to retrieve data, generating reports etc.
Sharing allows database access simultaneously to multiple users and applications.
A DBMS basically manages three things −
The Database engine, which is helpful in accessing the data from the database.
Database schema, which defines the logical structure of the database.
Advantages of DBMS
Controls the redundancy in the database.
Restricts unauthorized access.
Provides a storage structure and multiple techniques for query processing.
Provides backup and recovery.
Provides multiple user interfaces.
Enforces Constraints on the data.
Reduces application development time.
- Distributed Database Management System
- Centralized Database Management System
- What is the basic purpose of a Database Management system(DBMS)?
- Relational Database Management System (RDMS)
- Advantages of Database Management System
- Limitations of Database Management System
- Federated database management system issues in C++
- Explain parallel and distributed database management system
- Explain check pointing in the transaction management system(DBMS)
- What is the purpose of Database Management System?
- What do you mean by data base management system (dbms)?
- Construct an ER diagram for the Library management system(DBMS)?
- File System Management
- Operating System Resource Management
- File-based Data Management System