YouTube is a subsidiary of Google and a popular platform allowing users to share videos. It has a database of millions of videos uploaded by users. Users registered to YouTube are allowed to watch and upload unlimited number of videos while unregistered users can only watch the videos. Creating an account is not necessary as the Gmail account is enough to sign in to YouTube.
Google Chrome, on the other hand, is a free web browser from Google packed with lots of features and improved security mechanisms. The browser launched its official extension gallery with over 1500 extensions on 2010. Now there are over 11000 extensions in Google Chrome, which users can download.
However, these extensions may request permissions from users to access their data. This tutorial will be helpful in downloading videos from YouTube using Google Chrome extensions, without having to rely on online YouTube video downloading websites.
Installing the extension
Install Google Chrome web browser first, if it’s not already in your PC. For this:
- Step 1: Launch your web browser
- Step 2: Search Google for the Chrome web browser or go directly to this link: www.google.com/chrome/
- Step 3: Download Google Chrome browser set up file
- Step 4: After download, click on the set up file and install Google Chrome
- Step 5: After installation, launch Google Chrome web browser. Make sure you have the latest version of the browser installed.
- Step 6: Open Google by typing www.google.com
- Step 7: In the search bar, type ‘YouTube downloader chrome’ and press Enter The search results will now appear. You are looking for a Google Chrome extension.
- Step 8: Look for a link with ‘Chrome YouTube Downloader’ mentioned, preferably from www.chromeextensions.org This will take you to the Google Chrome extensions webpage with the Chrome YouTube Downloader extension displayed. You will notice the version number of the extension beside its name.
- Step 9: Click on the blue button on the right with a ‘+’ sign saying ‘Add to Chrome’
Clicking on the button will download a file of .crx format to the bottom left of the Google Chrome browser. It will be downloaded to the ‘Downloads’ folder of your documents. If you want to check whether the browser version supports this extension, and to check for latest versions of the extension, click on the Visit Website link from the extension details, before clicking ‘Add to Chrome’.
Using the extension in Google Chrome
- Step 10: Click on the wrench icon in the top right corner of the Google Chrome browser. The wrench icon indicates browser settings and options
- Step 11: From the menu which opens, select Tools
- Step 12: From the extended Tools menu, click on Extensions. Doing this will open a new tab in the browser. This is Google Chrome’s extension page, where you can enable and disable extensions.
- Step 13: Click and hold the downloaded .crx file
- Step 14: Drag the file to anywhere you like in the new extension page. The browser will now display a message ‘Drop to install’.
- Step 15: Drop the file in the page
- Step 16: Click ‘Add’ to confirm adding the extension to the browser You have now successfully installed the YouTube Downloader extension to Chrome browser Step 17: Go to www.YouTube.com
- Step 18: Select a video You will now be able to see the Download option in all videos you watch in YouTube.
You can use the download option provided by this extension to download videos in MP3 formats as well. Downloading some videos may be against the Copyright law in your area, and depends on the law. You may disable the extension whenever you want from the Extensions page of the browser.