- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
What's the difference between "update" and "update_idletasks" in Tkinter?
Update method processes all the pending idle tasks, unvisited events, calling functions, and callbacks. The method is applicable for updating and processing all the events or tasks such as redrawing widgets, geometry management, configuring the widget property, etc.
It also ensures that if the application has any pending tasks, then it will just update or refresh the value that affects the whole part of the application. Using update for a single pending task would be nasty, thus Tkinter also provides the update_idletasks() method. It only updates the idle pending task that is stable or not updating in the application for some reason. It calls all the events that are pending without processing any other events or callback.
The update() and update_idletask() methods are useful for processing any pending or idle tasks. However, the only difference between update() and update_idletasks() is that update() processes all the events present in the application, while update_idletasks() only processes those events which are not running or stable.
We can understand the use and application of update_idletasks() method through this example.
# Import the tkinter library from tkinter import * from tkinter import ttk import time # Create an instance of tkinter frame win= Tk() # Set the size of the Tkinter window win.geometry("700x350") def add_Text(): for i in range(10): label.config(text= "The loops starts from 1 to "+ str(i)) # Wait for two seconds win.update_idletasks() time.sleep(2) label.config(text= i) # Add a label text label= Label(win, text="Original Text", font= ('Aerial 16')) label.pack(pady= 30) # Add a button to update the Label text ttk.Button(win, text="Change Text", command= add_Text).pack(pady= 40) win.mainloop()
Running the above code will display a window with a Label widget and a button.
When we press the button, the Label widget gets updated automatically in the given range of the loop.
- What's the difference between "update" and "update_idletasks" in Tkinter?
- Difference between tkinter and Tkinter
- Difference Between ALTER and UPDATE Command in SQL
- Difference between import tkinter as tk and from tkinter import
- Difference between title() and wm_title() methods in Tkinter class
- Difference between "grid" and "pack" geometry managers in Tkinter
- Difference between .pack and .configure for widgets in Tkinter
- What is the difference between focus and focus_set methods in Tkinter?
- What is the difference between root.destroy() and root.quit() in Tkinter(Python)?
- What is the difference between the widgets of tkinter and tkinter.ttk in Python?
- What is the difference between a variable and StringVar() of Tkinter?
- What is the difference between the New-AZTag and Update-AZTag command in Azure PowerShell?
- How to update information in the grid in Tkinter?
- Difference between "fill" and "expand" options for tkinter pack method
- Update Tkinter Label from variable
- What's the difference between Tkinter's Tk and Toplevel classes?