- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
What is JDBC?
JDBC stands for Java Database Connectivity. It is a Java library/specification released by sun microsystems. It enables Java applications to communicate with databases.
A JDBC driver is an implementation of the above-mentioned specification i.e. it contains the classes and interfaces to communicate with the database. Using JDBC driver and JDBC API you can write Java applications which will send a request to the database and retrieve the results.
I.e. you can connect to the database, create SQL statements, Execute the SQL statements, access and modify the resultant tables using this library.
Fundamentally, JDBC is a specification that provides a complete set of interfaces that allows for portable access to an underlying database. Java can be used to write different types of executables, such as −
Java ServerPages (JSPs)
Enterprise JavaBeans (EJBs).
All of these different executables are able to use a JDBC driver to access a database, and take advantage of the stored data. JDBC provides the same capabilities as ODBC, allowing Java programs to contain database-independent code.
- What is Statement in JDBC?
- What is PreparedStatement in JDBC?
- What is CallableStatement in JDBC?
- What is CLOSE_CURSORS_AT_COMMIT in JDBC?
- What is DatabaseMetaData in JDBC? What is its significance?
- What is ResultSetMetaData in JDBC? What is its significance?
- What is batch processing in JDBC?
- What is Type_FORWARD_ONLY ResultSet in JDBC?
- What is TYPE_SCROLL_INSENSITIVE ResultSet in JDBC?
- What is TYPE_SCROLL_SENSITIVE ResultSet in JDBC?
- What is ResultSet Concurrency in JDBC?
- What is ResultSet holdability in JDBC?
- What is RowId object in JDBC Explain?
- What is JDBC SQL Escape Syntax Explain?
- What is CONCUR_UPDATABLE ResultSet in JDBC? Explain?