- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
What is Cut-through switching?
In data communications, cut-through switching is a method of switching data frame or data packets, where the switching device (bridge or switch) forwards the frames or packets as soon as the destination address is available without waiting for the rest of the data to arrive.
Cut-through switching is used in packet switching systems. In packet-switching, the message is divided into a number of units called packets that are individually routed from the source to the destination. There is no need to establish a dedicated circuit for communication, since it is a connectionless network switching technique.
In cut − through switching, when the data frame or a packet starts arriving at a bridge or a switch, data transmission can start as soon as destination address field has arrived. The switch performs a look – up at the address table stored in it to check whether the destination address is valid. If the address is valid and the outgoing link is available, the switching device immediately starts to transmit the frame to the destination port, even before rest of the frame has arrived.
Here, the switching device acts as mere forwarder of frames. As the total frame is not yet available, it cannot perform error checks when it starts forwarding. It depends upon the on the destination devices for error handling.
The advantages of cut-through switching are −
- Low − latency − Since, the switching device does not wait for the entire frame to arrive, the latency of passing through the bridge is reduced considerably.
- Less storage requirement − The switching devices do not require to store the data packets or data frames in it. So, they can operate with reduced internal storage capacity.
Cut-through switching is mainly used for communications via fiber channel. It is also used for SCSI traffic for the low latency transmission.
- What is Wormhole switching?
- What is Data Switching?
- What is Circuit Switching?
- What is Message Switching?
- What is Packet Switching?
- What is switching and the types of switching techniques?
- What is Data Link Layer Switching?
- What is virtual circuit packet switching?
- What is Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS)?
- What is Context Switching in Operating System?
- What is Process Suspension and Process Switching?
- What is the design space of switching techniques?
- What is Multistage Switching Network in Computer Architecture?
- What is Omega Switching Network in Computer Architecture
- What is the concept of datagram packet switching?