- DCN Tutorial
- Data Comm & Networks Home
- DCN - Overview
- DCN - Computer Network Types
- DCN - Network LAN Technologies
- DCN - Computer Network Topologies
- DCN - Computer Network Models
- DCN - Computer Network Security
- Physical Layer
- DCN - Physical Layer Introduction
- DCN - Digital Transmission
- DCN - Analog Transmission
- DCN - Transmission media
- DCN - Wireless Transmission
- DCN - Multiplexing
- DCN - Network Switching
- Data Link Layer
- DCN - Data Link Layer Introduction
- DCN - Error detection and Correction
- DCN - Data Link Control & Protocols
- Network Layer
- DCN - Network Layer Introduction
- DCN - Network Addressing
- DCN - Routing
- DCN - Internetworking
- DCN - Network Layer Protocols
- Transport Layer
- DCN - Transport Layer Introduction
- DCN - Transmission Control Protocol
- DCN - User Datagram Protocol
- Application Layer
- DCN - Application Layer Introduction
- DCN - Client-Server Model
- DCN - Application Protocols
- DCN - Network Services
- DCN Useful Resources
- DCN - Quick Guide
- DCN - Useful Resources
What is a presentation layer?
The presentation layer changes the data from an application layer into the device native internal mathematical structure and encodes communicated information into a displayable output format.
It executes the code changes, document compressions, security encryption, etc. It also defines the data as per the software/hardware environment of the hub. For instance, demonstrating UNIX structured data in windows.
The link between the presentation layer and the application and session layer has been shown in the diagram below −
It is concerned with the syntax of data.
The procedure in two frameworks are generally to exchange the data in the form of character strings, numbers etc. The data must be exchanged into a bitstream before being transmitted.
To carry any sensitive data, the presentation layer encrypts the data at the sender's end and decrypts at the receiver's end.
Compression means the reduction of bits. It is required in the case of multiline text, audio and video.
Function of presentation layer
The functions of presentation layer are explained below −
Data Compression: It decreases the various bits to be sent by shrinking the data.
Data Conversion: It layouts the data on several hubs according to the software/hardware environment.
Code Conversion: The form and syntax (language) of the two connecting frameworks can be different. One framework uses the American Standard Code for Information Interchange (ASCII) code to document transfer, and the other facilitates the Extended Binary Coded Decimal Interchange Code (EBCDIC) developed by the Computer hardware company IBM. It offers the "translation" from ASCII to EBCDIC and vice versa.
Data Encryption: It encodes information in a particular format so that each user or application cannot understand it.
- All the receiver end performs the decomposition, decoding and decryption.
- Related Articles
- What is Presentation Layer?
- The Presentation Layer of OSI Model
- Explain the functions of Presentation Layer.
- What is a network layer?
- What is a Physical Layer?
- What is a Data Link Layer?
- What is the transport layer?
- What is the session layer?
- What is the application layer?
- What is the Ozone Layer?
- What is Data Link Layer Switching?
- What is the data link layer?
- What is Layer 2 Forwarding (L2F)?
- What is physical layer coding violation?
- What is Secure Socket Layer (SSL)?