- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
What is a modem? What are different types of modem?
Modem stands for Modulator and Demodulator. It is a device that modulates signals to encode digital information for transmission and demodulates signals to decode the transmitted information.
A modem transmits data in bits per second (bps).
It is necessary for communication between digital devices and Analog devices.
Modem is necessary because it acts as a translator between the devices and rapidly transmits the information.
It converts the digital signal to Analog and vice versa to communicate between devices.
It encodes the signal and decodes at the other end and vice versa between the devices.
Building blocks of modem are shown in the diagram below −
Types of Modems
The different types of modems used to access the internet at home are as follows −
A computer is connected through telephone lines to access the network of other computers. It is cheaper when compared to other modems because it does not have any installation cost and also the monthly fee of a telephone modem is low. It can be used in any house if a telephone network is provided.
Given below is the diagram of telephone modem −
Digital subscriber Line
It provides high speed internet connection through telephone lines. It is expensive when compared to a telephone modem. The DSL is also connected with phone lines similar to telephone modem, but the difference is in DSL voice communication and internet service is used simultaneously whereas in telephone modem it is not provided.
Given below is the diagram of digital subscriber line (DSL) −
Cable Modem is a device that allows high-speed data access via a cable TV (CATV) network. Most cable modems are currently external devices that connect to the PC through a standard 10 BASE-T Ethernet card and twisted-pair wiring.
Given below is the diagram of cable modem −
It is a device that provides internet connection through satellite dishes. It transfers the input bits to output radio signals and then executes vice versa. It is costlier when compared to all other modems but provides better reliability to the internet network.
- What is Modem in Computer Network?
- What is DSL technology and differentiate between DSL modem and DSLAM?
- Cable Modem Termination System (CMTS)
- Difference between Router and Modem
- What are different types of interrupts?
- What are Different Types of Testing?
- What are the different types of psychotherapy?
- What are different types of eating disorders?
- What are the different types of ISDN?
- What are different types of finite automata?
- What are the different types of DBMS?
- What are different types of DBMS languages?
- What are the Different Types of Marketing?
- What is meant cyber crime? What are its different types?
- What is Flaring and what are the different types of Horn antennas?