- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
What does the pandas.series.index attribute do?
A Series is a pandas data structure that is used to store the labeled data in a single dimension, the labels can be anything like text data, integer values, and time sequence. by using these labels we can access elements of a given series and we can do data manipulations too.
In pandas.Series the labels are called indexes, If you want to get index labels separately then we can use pandas.Series “index” attribute.
import pandas as pd # creating a series s = pd.Series([100,110,120,130,140]) print(s) # Getting index data index = s.index print('Output: ') # displaying outputs print(index)
Initialized a pandas Series object using a python list with integer values of length 5. The s.index attribute will return a list of index labels based on the given series object.
0 100 1 110 2 120 3 130 4 140 dtype: int64 Output: RangeIndex(start=0, stop=5, step=1)
At the time of creating the series object, we haven’t initialized the index labels for this example. So the pandas.Series Constructor will automatically provide the index labels.
The index attribute access the auto-created label (RangeIndex values), and those are displayed in the above output block.
import pandas as pd Countrys = ['Iceland', 'India', 'United States'] Capitals = [ 'Reykjavik', 'New Delhi', 'Washington D.C'] # create series s = pd.Series(Capitals, index=Countrys) # display Series print(s) # Getting index data index = s.index print('Output: ') # displaying outputs print(index)
In the following example, we have created a pandas Series using two python list-objects each list is holding country’s names (strings), and capital cities names.
Iceland Reykjavik India New Delhi United States Washington D.C dtype: object Output: Index(['Iceland', 'India', 'United States'], dtype='object')
The s.index attribute will return a list of labels of the given series object “s”, and the data type of those index labels are “object” type.
- What does the pandas DataFrame.index attribute do?
- What does the pandas DataFrame.columns attribute do?
- What does count method do in the pandas series?
- What does the all() method do in pandas series?
- What does the add() method do in the pandas series?
- What does the align() method do in the pandas series?
- What does the any() method do in the pandas series?
- What does the apply() method do in the pandas series?
- What does agg() method do in pandas series?
- What does the pandas.series.array attribute do?
- What does the pandas.series.values attribute do?
- What does series mean in pandas?
- What does axes in the pandas series mean?
- What does the pandas series.filter() method do?
- What do axes attribute in the pandas DataFrame?