- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
What are the fundamental differences between Windows and Linux?
The window operating system is the extension of the disk operating system.
Windows is the most popular and simplest operating system which can be used by any person who can read and understand basic English, as it does not require any special training.
It requires DOS to run the various application programs initially. So, DOS should be installed into the memory and then window can be executed.
Linux is one of popular version of UNIX operating System which is open source as its source code is freely available. It is free to use and was
designed considering UNIX compatibility. Linux’s functionality list is quite similar to that of UNIX.
The fundamental differences between Windows and Linux operating systems are −
|1. Windows uses different types of drives to store files.||1. Linux uses tree like structures file system|
|2. In Windows, CD-ROM,||2. In Linux, CD-ROM,|
|printers, hard drives are considered as device.||printers, hard drives are considered as file.|
|3. C:,D:,E: are different types of drives in windows.||3. No such drive is present in Linux.|
|4. Windows cannot have two files of same name in same folder||4. In Linux, file naming is case sensitive I.e;file1 and FILE1 are two different files.|
|5. Windows has 4 types of user accounts −||5. Linux has 3 types of user accounts −|
|6. Administrator user acts as a super user and handle all the administrative works of computer.||6. Root user acts as a super user and handle all the administrative works of computer.|
|7. My Documents is the home directory in windows operating system.||7. User/home directory for every user is the home directory in Linux operating system.|
- What are the differences between Unix and Linux Operating System?
- Difference between Linux and Windows
- What are the process states in Windows and Linux?
- Difference Between Linux and Windows Operating System
- What are the fundamental concepts of TOC?
- What are the differences between holography and photography?
- What are the differences between C++ and Java?
- What are the differences between C and Java?
- What are the differences between lodash and underscore?
- What are the differences between IPO and FPO?
- What are the differences between solvency and liquidity?
- What are the differences between Flutter and Xamarin?
- What are the differences between BorgBase and RapidShare?
- What are the differences between BorgBase and ZumoDrive?
- What are the differences between BorgBase and ShareFile?