- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- MS Excel
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
What are the different levels of Parallelism?
There are different level of parallelism which are as follows −
Instruction Level − At instruction level, a grain is consist of less than 20 instruction called fine grain. Fine-grain parallelism at this level may range from two thousand depending on an individual program single instruction stream parallelism is greater than two but the average parallelism at instruction level is around fine rarely exceeding seven in an ordinary program.
For scientific applications, the average parallel is in the range of 500 to 300 Fortran statements executing concurrently in an idealized environment.
Loop Level − It embraces iterative loop operations. A loop may contain fewer than 500 instructions. Some loop independent operations can be vectorized for pipelined execution or look step execution of SIMD machines.
Loop level parallelism is the most optimized program generate to implement on a parallel or vector computer. But recursive loops are different to parallelize. Vector processing is mostly exploited at the loop level by vectorizing compiler.
Procedural Level − It communicates to medium grain size at the task, procedure, subroutine levels. Grain at this level has less than 2000 instructions. Detection of parallelism at this level is much more difficult than a finer grain level.
Communication obligation is much less as compared with that MIMD execution model. But here major efforts are requisite by the programmer to reorganize a program at this level.
Subprogram Level − Subprogram level communicates to job steps and related subprograms. Grain size here has less than 1000 instructions. Job steps can overlap across diverse jobs. Multiprogramming a uniprocessor or multiprocessor is conducted at this level.
Job Level − It corresponds to parallel executions of independent tasks on a parallel computer. Grain size here can be tens of thousands of instructions. It is managed by the program loader and by the operating framework. Time-sharing & space-sharing multiprocessors analyze this level of parallelism.
- Related Articles
- What are different methods of parallelism in Parallel Computer Architecture?
- What are different levels of abstraction in Computer Architecture?
- What are the different levels of Code Scheduling in computer architecture?
- What are different transaction isolation levels in DBMS?
- What is biological magnification? Will the levels of this magnification be different at different levels of the ecosystem?
- What are the types of Parallelism in Computer Architecture?
- What are the conditions of Parallelism in Computer Architecture?
- What are the levels of computer system organization?
- Data parallelism vs Task parallelism
- What are the levels of memory in the Operating System?
- What are the Three Levels of Capital Budgeting Decision-Making?
- What are the levels of database security in information security?
- Plot different colors for different categorical levels using matplotlib
- Marketing Strategy at Different Levels of Product Life Cycle