- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
What are the differences between Malware and Ransomware?
Let us understand the concepts of Malware and Ransomeware before learning the differences between them.
Malware is called as malicious software which refers to a program that can infect a legitimate user's computer and harm on it in different ways. It can infect computers and devices in several ways and comes in a number of forms, just a few of which can include viruses, worms, Trojan horses and more.
Computer viruses are probably the most familiar type of malware — so named because they spread by making copies of themselves. Worms also have a similar property. Spyware transmits personal information such as credit card numbers etc.
The antivirus protection can also recognize and warn against it. And we also know that no one method is enough to ensure your computer is secure. The layers of defence can make the tough work for hackers to harm your computer.
There are many simple ways by which you can take precautions before an attack. Some of them are below −
- Check the security settings of the browser from time to time.
- Install a good quality antivirus system on your computer.
- Install anti-spyware software also for protection.
- Install the firewall.
- Update the windows defender from time to time.
It is a virus or malware of the computer that installs secretly on computer without user authorization and encrypts the data that is present on the victim's computer and in order to decrypt that message it asks for payment for decryption
Ransomware cyber-attacks result in data loss because the attacker demands the victim for money in order to give the decrypt key whether if he has not paid the decrypt key will be lost and the data is also lost forever and results in data loss.
This ransomware is a cybercrime because so much of data is lost and they are thefting the data and demanding money from the victims in order to give the data. It is like kidnapping the data.
The possible consequences of ransomware malware are data loss and data theft. These malware are sent through the Email attachments and messages in social media and whenever we click that it installs without authorization.
Given below are the precautionary measures in regards to ransomware attack −
- Educate employees about ransomware
- Conduct regular data backups.
- Restrict code execution
- Restrict administrative and system access.
- Maintain and update software.
We can ensure the system-level protection by undertaking the following measures −
- Robust filtering.
- Blocking attachments.
- Reviewing permission-related practices.
- Removing local administrative rights.
- Other permission-related practices
The major differences between Malware and Ransomware are as follows −
|Malware is a computer virus which is designed to replicate and copying itself from one file to another file or program to program||Ransomware is a sub type of malware from crypto virology that blocks access to a system unless it is paid.|
|It is also called virus, worm, Trojan horses, spyware, adware and ransomware.||It is one of the new type of malware that represent in many ways to hold data to ransom|
|It typically piggybacks on malicious links, fraudulent email attachments , social media messages etc.||It spreads through phishing emails containing malicious attachments or web based messaging applications.|
|It refers to all types of malicious programs||Locker and crypto are two main types of ransomware.|
|To protect the system from malware is to install antimalware programs.||To protect the system from ransomware is to pay the ransom to the attackers.|
- What are the differences between Malware and Spyware?
- What is the difference between Scareware and Ransomware?
- What is the difference between Adware and Ransomware?
- What are the differences between C++ and Java?
- What are the differences between C and Java?
- What are the differences between holography and photography?
- What are the differences between lodash and underscore?
- What are the differences between solvency and liquidity?
- What are the differences between IPO and FPO?
- What are the differences between Flutter and Xamarin?
- What are the differences between Telegram and WhatsApp?
- What are the differences between FDMA and CDMA?
- What are the differences between Antivirus and Antispyware?
- What are the differences between Jumpshare and MiMedia?
- What are the differences between MediaFire and MiMedia?