- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Underscore(_) in Python
In Python in some cases we use Single Underscore(_) and some cases we use Double Underscores (__).
In Python has following cases, where we use underscore.
- If we want to store the value of last expression in interpreter.
- If we want to ignore some values.
- For declaration of variable or function.
- To separate digits of number lateral value.
- It is also used as ‘Internationalization (i18n)’ or ‘Localization (l10n)’ functions.
Now some examples on every cases.
Used in interpreter
The Python Interpreter stores the last expression value in the '_'.
>>> 20 20 >>> _ 20 >>> _ + 3 23
Ignoring the values
Underscore is also used for ignoring the values.
x, _, y = (1, 2, 3)
Here x = 1, y = 3 and ignore the value 2.
Used for declaring variable and function
Python does not support private, so we cannot force something’s private ones but we can call it directly from other modules.
Using this conversion easily can avoid conflicting of Python keywords and built-ins.
This is mangle, it is used to avoid conflicts of attributes name between names.
If you write a method name “__display” in a class, the name will be mangled in “_ClassName__display” form.
In some cases we use this conversion. Just like _init_.
To separate digits of number lateral value
dec_base = 1_000_000 print(dec_base) # 1000000
As Internationalization (i18n)/Localization (l10n) functions
This is just a convention not any syntactic functions here underscore just bind the i18n/l10n to underscore variable has been from C convention.
- How does underscore "_" work in Python files?
- What does double underscore prefix do in Python variables?
- Using underscore in Numeric Literals in Java
- What is the meaning of single underscore prefix with Python variables?
- MySQL ORDER BY strings with underscore?
- How to match underscore in a MySQL String?
- Can we give underscore in a MySQL table name?
- Underscore as a table name in MySQL is possible?
- Using MySQL IN() for some column values with underscore
- What are the differences between lodash and underscore?
- What is the use of underscore keyword in Java 9?
- Update a column in MySQL and remove the trailing underscore values
- What are the rules about using an underscore in a C++ identifier?
- How to remove underscore from column names of an R data frame?