- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
The focal length of a spherical mirror in Python Program
In this article, we will learn about the solution to the problem statement given below −
We will be given the radius of curvature of the spherical mirror and we have to find the focal length of the same.
The focal length is the distance between the centre of curvature of the mirror to the principal foci . In order to determine the focal length of a spherical mirror firstly, we should know the radius of curvature of that mirror. The distance from the vertex of the mirror to the centre of curvature is called the radius of curvature.
For concave mirror: F = R/2
For convex mirror: F = -R/2
Now let’s see the implementation
#spherical concave mirror def focal_length_concave(R): return R / 2 # spherical convex mirror def focal_length_convex(R): return - ( R/ 2 ) # Driver function R = 30 print("Focal length of spherical concave mirror is :", focal_length_concave(R)," units") print("Focal length of spherical convex mirror is : ", focal_length_convex(R)," units")
Focal length of spherical concave mirror is: 15.0 units Focal length of spherical convex mirror is: -15.0 units
The Outputs can be in metre, centimetre or millimetre. For generalized result units is mentioned in place of any specific unit type.
All the variables are declared in the global frame with two functions as shown in the image below.
In this article, we learnt about how we can calculate the focal length of a spherical mirror.
- Python Program for the focal length of a spherical mirror
- Java Program for focal length of a spherical mirror
- What is the relation between the focal length and radius of curvature of a spherical mirror (concave mirror or convex mirror)? Calculate the focal length of a spherical mirror whose radius of curvature is 25 cm.
- What is the relation between focal length and radius of curvature of a spherical mirror?
- State the relation between object distance, image distance and focal length of a spherical mirror (concave mirror or convex mirror).
- Which type of mirror has:(a) positive focal length?(b) negative focal length?
- A spherical mirror and a spherical lens each have a focal length of -10 cm. The mirror and the lens are likely to beboth concaveboth convexthe mirror is concave and the lens is convexthe mirror is convex and the lens is concave
- The focal length of a spherical mirror of radius of curvature 30 cm is:(a) 10 cm (b) 15 cm (c) 20 cm (d) 30 cm
- A spherical mirror and a spherical lens each have a focal length of, –15 cm. The mirror and the lens are likely to be:(a) both concave.(b) both convex.(c) the mirror is concave but the lens is convex.(d) the mirror is convex but the lens is concave.
- What is the nature of a mirror having a focal length of, +10 cm?
- The shiny outer surface of a hollow sphere of aluminium of radius 50 cm is to be used as a mirror:(a) What will be the focal length of this mirror?(b) Which type of spherical mirror will it provide?(c) State whether this spherical mirror will perge or converge light rays.
- Determination of Focal Length of Concave Mirror and Convex Lens
- What kind of mirror can have a focal length of, −20 cm?
- According to New Cartesian Sign Convention:(a) focal length of concave mirror is positive and that of convex mirror is negative(b) focal length of both concave and convex mirrors is positive(c) focal length of both concave and convex mirrors is negative(d) focal length of concave mirror is negative and that of convex mirror is positive
- Explain the sign conventions of spherical mirror and spherical lens.