- Trending Categories
- Data Structure
- Operating System
- C Programming
- Social Studies
- Fashion Studies
- Legal Studies
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Significance of regex match() and regex search() function in Python
There are two types of operations that can be performed using regex, (a) search and (b) match. In order to use regex efficiently while finding the pattern and matching with the pattern, we can use these two functions.
Let us consider that we have a string. regex match() checks the pattern only at the beginning of the string, while regex search() checks the pattern anywhere in the string. The match() function returns the match object if a pattern is found, otherwise none.
- match() – Finds the pattern only at the beginning of the string and returns the matched object.
- search() – Checks for the pattern anywhere in the string and returns the matched object.
In this example, we have a string and we need to find the word 'engineer' in this string.
import re pattern = "Engineers" string = "Scientists dream about doing great things. Engineers Do them" result = re.match(pattern, string) if result: print("Found") else: print("Not Found")
Running this code will print the output as,
Now, let us use the above example for searching,
import re pattern = "Engineers" string = "Scientists dream about doing great things. Engineers Do them" result = re.search(pattern, string) if result: print("Found") else: print("Not Found")
Running the above code will print the output as,
- Match all occurrences of a regex in Java
- How do i match just spaces and newlines with Python regex?
- How to Match patterns and strings using the RegEx module in Python
- MySQL Regex to match a pattern for ignoring a character in search like Chris.Brown?
- Determining the position and length of the match Java regex
- How can I match the start and end in Python's regex?
- How not to match a character after repetition in Python Regex?
- MongoDB Regex Search on Integer Value?
- REGEX Match integers 6 through 10 in MySQL?
- Java regex program to match parenthesis "(" or, ")".
- Using a regex with text search in MongoDB
- Regex metacharacters in Java Regex
- Regex to match lines containing multiple strings in Java
- How to match any character using Java RegEx