- Python Basic Tutorial
- Python - Home
- Python - Overview
- Python - Environment Setup
- Python - Basic Syntax
- Python - Comments
- Python - Variables
- Python - Data Types
- Python - Operators
- Python - Decision Making
- Python - Loops
- Python - Numbers
- Python - Strings
- Python - Lists
- Python - Tuples
- Python - Dictionary
- Python - Date & Time
- Python - Functions
- Python - Modules
- Python - Files I/O
- Python - Exceptions
- Python Advanced Tutorial
- Python - Classes/Objects
- Python - Reg Expressions
- Python - CGI Programming
- Python - Database Access
- Python - Networking
- Python - Sending Email
- Python - Multithreading
- Python - XML Processing
- Python - GUI Programming
- Python - Further Extensions
Python program to sort a list of tuples by second Item
When it is required to sort a list of tuples based on the second item, the lambda function and ‘sorted’ method can be used.
A list can be used to store heterogeneous values (i.e data of any data type like integer, floating point, strings, and so on). A list of tuple basically contains tuples enclosed in a list.
Anonymous function is a function which is defined without a name.
In general, functions in Python are defined using ‘def’ keyword, but anonymous function is defined with the help of ‘lambda’ keyword. It takes a single expression, but can take any number of arguments. It uses the expression and returns the result of it.
The ‘sorted’ method is used to sort the elements of a list.
Below is a demonstration for the same −
def tuple_sort(my_tuple): return(sorted(my_tuple, key = lambda x: x)) my_tuple = [('bill', 11), ('rick', 45), ('john', 89), ('liv', 25)] print("The list of tuple is : ") print(my_tuple) print("After sorting, the list of tuple becomes : ") print(tuple_sort(my_tuple))
The list of tuple is : [('bill', 11), ('rick', 45), ('john', 89), ('liv', 25)] After sorting, the list of tuple becomes : [('bill', 11), ('liv', 25), ('rick', 45), ('john', 89)]
- A function named ‘tuple_sort’ is defined, that takes a list of tuple as parameter.
- It is first iterated over using lambda function, and sorted using the ‘sorted’ function.
- This is returned as output.
- A list of tuple is defined and is displayed on the console.
- The ‘tuple_sort’ method is called by passing this list of tuple as parameter.
- This value is displayed as output on the console.
- Related Articles
- Python program to sort a list of tuples alphabetically
- Sort list of tuples by specific ordering in Python
- Python Group by matching second tuple value in list of tuples
- Python program to Sort Tuples by their Maximum element
- Python program to sort tuples by frequency of their absolute difference
- Python program to Sort a List of Tuples in Increasing Order by the Last Element in Each Tuple
- Python program to sort a list according to the second element in sublist
- Python program to sort tuples in increasing order by any key.
- Sort a List of Tuples in Increasing Order by the Last Element in Each Tuple using Python program
- Python program to find tuples which have all elements divisible by K from a list of tuples
- Python – Sort Tuples by Total digits
- Python program to sort a list according to the second element in the sublist.
- Python Program to Sort A List Of Names By Last Name
- Python program to find Tuples with positive elements in a List of tuples
- Python | Sort the values of first list using second list